Prototype Development Technician Apprentice at Jaguar Land Rover

West Midlands
£230 weekly
April 2018

8 /10

As a prototype technician apprentice I am training to sufficiently support vehicle development engineers between dynamic and durability tests of the early prototype stages of all Jaguar Land Rover models

Since the beginning of my apprenticeship, my understanding and knowledge of the mechanics and engineering behind an automotive vehicle has substantially improved despite a respectable familiarity of the basic principles of an internal combustion vehicle beforehand. I have also gained the ability to machine metal and approach any given job with an understanding of the correct tooling to use and why.

I withdrew from university to seek a role like this apprenticeship offers me and I will remain appreciative of my position here as a comparison. As things stand, I would not want to work anywhere else.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 9 roles at Jaguar Land Rover

With the number of apprentices let alone employees that are taken on by JLR its surprising how well involved you are made to feel as an individual. Emphasis is shown by the company that without us employees, the company would not succeed.

The apprenticeship as a 4 year course is clearly structured and is designed for steady individual growth over that time however my limited experience with the college used by JLR is that the BTEC course is not well structured or organised in comparison.

College lecturers do seem to be overwhelmed by the number of apprentices but do a good job at committing their individual time and effort into our progression.

My manager and supervisor have made a clear effort to integrate me into my department and team of technicians. I often do not feel like I am an apprentice in the sense that I am trusted to carry out tasks that I may eve doubt myself that I can fulfill, this in turn pushes my development and allows me to learn on the tools quickly

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 9 roles at Jaguar Land Rover

Starting my apprenticeship at the age of 21, dropping my wage from a previous job role with regular monthly outgoings, the pay drop to the initial apprenticeship weekly wage was difficult but regardless it is quite generous and increases accordingly every 6 months depending on academic progress

I have been involved with a number of projects including a soap box car event to display my machining skills and mechanical understanding as well as working with the Jaguar Formula E team on an undisclosed project. I have worked on stalls to promote and discuss the apprenticeship with potential applicants at local schools and have also been involved in community support activitys.

9. Would you recommend Jaguar Land Rover to a friend?

It's too great an opportunity to pass applying for, JLR has a role within the business for anyone and everyone.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Jaguar Land Rover?

Use common sense for the situational judgement test. Revise sufficiently for the psychometric test with material provided. Relax on the assessment day, be yourself.