Apprentice Engineering Maintenance Technician at EDF Energy

Hartlepool
February 2018

Connect with EDF Energy

I am a year 2 Apprentice Control & Instrumentation Maintenance Technician. This involves training in engineering maintenance to get ready for working on a nuclear power station in 3rd and 4th year.

I achieved a distinction in my BTECs in 1st year. I am also working towards an NVQ level 3 and also a HNC in coming years. In the course so far I have learnt many practical skills and have developed my leadership and communication skills in the workplace.

I believe this is a top apprenticeship and I enjoy the training I receive because I learn a lot from it including skills for the engineering workplace and general life skills.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 5 roles at EDF Energy

4. How valued do you feel by EDF Energy?

I feel very valued by the company because us as apprentices are very well looked after in terms of accommodation, food and training.

It is very well organised because the training we receive is properly structured.

The instructors and other staff are always there for us if we need help, whether it be work related or personal related. There is always someone on hand to speak to if you need to.

I feel that I receive a lot of positive support from my employer. I regularly receive feedback and advice on how to improve.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 5 roles at EDF Energy

Accommodation, travel and food costs are covered by the company for the first two years of the apprenticeship so the salary is very good.

There are company events on special occasions that go on outside of work. Also there are opportunities to participate in a number of different sports and activities outside of work.

9a. Would you recommend EDF Energy to a friend? *

Because I believe that it is one of the best apprenticeships out there and is a great starting point for a career in engineering.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to EDF Energy? *

For aptitude tests, practice by completing online tests to give you an idea of what the real ones will be like. Prepare notes for the interview so that you know what to say, also learn about the way the power station works as this may well be asked.