1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
I was a Camp Counselor under the agency of Camp America, they paired me up with a Summer Camp in America where I was hired as a Swim Instructor/Lifeguard. A regular day would be waking my cabin of 5 kids up at 7:30, taking them to breakfast, then cleaning the cabin, flag raising and assembly then going off to the lake to teach 3 periods before heading to lunch then having rest hour with my cabin before teaching another 2 or 3 periods in the afternoon followed by Dinner, evening activity and then put to bed.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
I completed my ARC Lifeguarding and ARC WSI
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
I worked with the best team yet to date. Experiencing cultures from all over the world was amazing, its an experience i will always treasure.
4. How valued do you feel by Camp America?
Everyone was an equal. With 4 members of senior staff and department heads, there wasn't too much of a hierarchy structure but it was visible enough to keep in order, I was treated with so much respect and had people supporting me if i ever needed them
5. How well organised/structured is your programme?
Camp America offered many orientations and meetings in preparation for flying out to the US, in addition they also helped a lot through social media with helpful videos etc.
6a. How much support do you receive from your training provider?
As much as i needed, they were always available through email/social media/phone etc
6b. How much support do you receive from your employer?
7. How well does your salary/package meet your costs?
I ended up spending more than i earnt due to paying out to Camp America as a company but my accommodation and food was pretty much free
8. Are there many opportunities outside of work?
9. Would you recommend Camp America to a friend?
I learnt so much about myself and the world. It was a magical experience that I can't even put into words
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Camp America?
Go for it. Don't doubt it or overthink it. Its so worth it
More from Camp AmericaMore Reviews Company Profile
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!