Apprentice Automotive Electrician at Jaguar Land Rover

Coventry

6.6/10

I am an Apprentice Automotive Electrician and this includes a variety of work from flashing vehicle modules to the latest software packages to diagnosing and rectifying electrical faults.

I have received a BTEC extended diploma in Automotive Technology which has greatly improved my knowledge of the various systems on a vehicle. I have learnt a variety of skills to work on the vehicles whether mechanically, cosmetically or electrically

I really enjoy the work that I do and love working on such premium products as Jaguar Land Rover's vehicles.

This varies, some managers/supervisors have a lot of time for apprentices and will do all they can to help you however unfortunately this cannot be said or all of them.

The college programme has been a nightmare to say the least, there have been multiple failures by the college that have tainted the experience. My workplace training started off very poorly but measures have been put in place now that should eliminate this problem for newer apprentices

I have a work based learning manager who acts as an intermediary between me and work and he has been mostly excellent. He has listened to my concerns throughout and done what he can to solve them.

At the end of my 3rd year of the apprenticeship an Apprentice Group Leader was hired and he has been very good and really wants you to learn and develop all you can. Before him though I received very little, if any support.

The Salary is excellent, I am not you standard 16-20 year old apprentice but the generous salary we are given is the only reason I was able to re-train and do an apprenticeship

You are requested to go to visit school career days, national career events etc. throughout the apprenticeship and the company does various volunteer work that you could get involved in if you so desired.

The salary is excellent and as the company keeps going from strength to strength you can have confidence in your future at the company.

Though it is not a requirement, having a good understanding and passion for cars and particularly how they work will certainly help you get ahead and not feel overwhelmed by how much you need to learn during the apprenticeship.