HR Administrator at Civil Service

North East
£1,460 monthly
May 2016

Connect with Civil Service

I work in HR in a government department. I work in the contracts management team and daily tasks include completing management information, review contracts, budgets etc. I also work on projects management which includes monitoring request forms.

I am working to complete a level 4 NVQ and HNC qualification. during my time in my role I have also completed internet uploading training and shared skills with colleagues.

I have an excellent team and a great line manager which makes the experience more enjoyable. expectations are higher than I expected but I have learnt fast and adapted.

4. How valued do you feel by Civil Service?

I am made to feel valued every day. my progress is reviewed and I feel comfortable contacting my line manager for support. I have been made to feel very involved in tasks.

The induction and support by my team is brilliant. However studying and support in terms of mentors from the apprenticeship team could be improved- more communication is needed.

I received some support from the training provider however I often have to chase information or ask fellow apprentices if they know the answer. There is not enough guidance with my tasks.

My employer is excellent. weekly meetings are held to raise any issues and also we have performance reviews. I feel that they have a positive attitude and the team is very caring.

I meets my costs and I am also to live comfortably. my social costs and daily costs are covered however I have very high travel expenses and often struggle near the end of the month.

There are volunteer events nationally however I am restricted in the north east and feel there is a lack of activates and events in the local area.

9. Would you recommend Civil Service to a friend?

The experience is brilliant. you learn and develop skills while earning a wage. you can apply for other roles and develop your career by taking this route.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Civil Service?

Be prepared for the application process- use the information which is provided before the assessment. Seek advise from teachers/ career advisors and improve interview skills- STAR (situation, task, action and result structure to your answers.