Risk & Performance Analyst at Civil Service

Worthing
Apprenticeship - Higher Level (Level 4)
£1,500 monthly
9th May 2016

Connect with Civil Service

5.6/10

I provide a vacancy filling service to a wide directorate of 1200+ people. I also produce and provide performance data to the senior leaders of our line of busines to allow them to have corative discussions. The apprenticeship is in business skills and accounting.

Whilst working in this role I have learnt to better communicate with other including those much more senior to myself. I've also learnt to prioritise my workload and developed my ability to train others.

I find the idea of my programme to be a good one, training for a level 4 qualification in a short period of time. However I find that this isn't supported enough by our training provide or our central apprenticeship team.

4. How valued do you feel by Civil Service?

As my work contributes to the decisions made by the director and depty director I feel that I'm contributing alot to the company. As such I feel people value my for the knowledge I have and my ability to work well. However I feel that this is let down by the central apprenticeship team who have not supported us enough with an appropriate timeline.

No very well. We are expected to complete a level 4 qualification in a 2 year period (which is fine), but we only get a month to revise before an exam, then several month of no revision. I think this is poor as a month isn't enough time and the number of in class teachings is lacking.

Not an awful lot. We get our couple of days in a classroom and then we expected to be able to review on our own. Which would be fine however many of use have never done accounting before so I feel extra support is needed.

Support from my direct line manager is brilliant. They provide me with the time I need to complete the NVQ part of my qualification and support for my AAT. Couldn't fault them.

As we get paid a normal salary I don't have any of the problems of someone on an apprenticeship salary. Also all our study transport is centrally funded.

I dont understand the question. We study in our own time outside of work, but there are no further opportunities to get involved in anything the would support the qualification.

9a. Would you recommend Civil Service to a friend? *

Having worked in retail I know the stress of working in the public sector for not very much. In the civil service you work in a supportive enviroment with decent pay.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Civil Service? *

Get help from someone that does or has worked in the civil service. The application forms are very different from a public sector application so the extra experience would be a help.