Trainee Buyer at Tesco

Cheshunt
Apprenticeship - Higher Level (Level 4)
20th April 2016

8.3/10

I am lucky enough to be a buyer in the Bakery category, with sole responsbility over my area (Pittas, Wraps, Naans, Speciality & World Breads).

I effectively run this area for the UK business and any business strategy I would like to implement, I have the authority to do so (provided it is signed off if there is a big change).

I have learnt skills of time management and organisation, through general experience in the role so far. My social/people skills have also improved due to day-to-day interaction with new people. I am developing new negotiation skillsin my, but I will have formal training in July.

I really enjoy the responsibility I have been given in my programme, it makes the role more interesting and I feel like I can actually make a difference.

4. How valued do you feel by Tesco?

Due to the size of Tesco, I feel like recognition for hard work or achievements is hard to come by. I feel valued by my natural work team however, because they can directly see what I am working on.

I feel like there is no clear timelines for my scheme - I am not sure if I am on track with the predicted timelines because my only appraisal is with my manager. I don't know at what stage I should be looking to be promoted.

I receive very good support from the training provider - they are always available by phone or email if I have any questions about work, or if I require an extension due to demands of the job.

I receive great support from my line manager and category, I don't tend to receive much support outside of this however. I'm not entirely sure what certain people can help with, and this is partly the reason for me not driving it.

It meets it very well considering I drive and live at home. However, I could not currently afford to move out if I want to, so I will have to wait until my wage increases.

People in the team are very sociable and the grads often organise meets in London. There's a great network of sports activities too.

9a. Would you recommend Tesco to a friend? *

It is on the whole a great place to work, there's great benefits and career opportunities too.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Tesco? *

Put this as your first job choice - it's great!