Substation Apprentice at National Grid

Chester

I maintain and repair equipment in a substation. Training courses are usually held at National Grids training centre in Eakring but when im not there I am working in Deeside on a 400kV substation.

My communication skills are improving all the time as the work is very team work based. Also mt hand skills with tools and also my comuter skills have developed.

I enjoy my apprenticeship a lot. All of the managers and trainers help to ensure that we are always ok and that we are enjoying our time here with the company.

4. How valued do you feel by National Grid?

I feel very valued by National Grid. The trainers and managers always make sure we are invloved and I constantly feel as part of a team.

Our programme is set out yearly and we are told what we are doing down to the day, months in advance. Although planning a year in advance is difficult, National Grid do very well to stick to it.

I recieve a lot of support from my trainers. They make sure that we understand everything and even work longer days if necessary to help us complete the work.

I recieve a lot of support from my employer. We are told from the start that if we feel like we need support we are more than welcome to go to them.

The salary meets my needs. National Grid have a very competitive salary during the apprenticeship scheme. Some months, if busy, i will have to sacrifice doing certain things but overall it is good.

Yes, there are plenty of volunteering opportunities within National Grid. These will include visiting schools and colleges to tell them about National Gid and its opportunites.

9a. Would you recommend National Grid to a friend? *

It is an opportunity to work for a very respected company. The qualifications from the apprenticeship scheme are very respected and are nationally recognised.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to National Grid? *

National Grid are looking for enthusiastic people who work well in a team. They need good communication skills and they need to be confident.