Maintenance technician at Jaguar Land Rover

birmingham

9.3/10

I am training to be a maintenance technician where i am based in the press shop. My daily tasks are to run and maintain an AIDA servo mechanical press. breakdowns can range from PLC faults to mechanical or hydraulic.

i have learnt a vast new range of skills in which i have also developed on skills which have helped me hugely outside of work also. It has developed the way in which i interect with people both in and outside of work. i have been sent on training courses such as ABB robotics course which has helped me with my day to day job.

I can honestly say i do enjoy coming to work where every day i am learning something new or am being pushed to go that extra mile. In terms of expectations i feel i have achieved what i have been set to do but only in the past 12 months.

i would say the first 2 & a half years of my apprenticeship i did not feel valued. i felt more of a burden and i felt i was slacking. After brief words with collegues and my supervision i was pushed to achieve what i was set out to do and i have not looked back since.

i would say i did not feel the college side of my apprenticeship was not as structured as i would have hoped and felt there was not enough practical tasks where i feel i do learn the most at. However, at work i have been given projects and training courses to get me where they want me to be.

My training manager is always there on hand when i have questions regarding my NVQ and i have support from colleagues when i need guidance on a job etc.

i feel i have tremendous support from my manager and my mentor as if i ever have a problem they are always on hand for me to discuss and learn in the way i feel i will learn best.

I earn a salary which i feel gives me the chance to live a life with no worries and able to fulfill my hopes and dreams. the location is brilliant for me as i only live several miles from where i am based.

Recently i went on a skiing course which JLR paid the majority to through the ELS scheme. I also used the ELS scheme for my driving lessons which were also paid for which have helped me tremendously.

Because i feel going through the apprenticeship with JLR has helped shaped my life into where i want it to be and made me into the person i am today. It has taught me problem solving, and teamwork.

I found standing out from the crowd and being vocal helped me during the assessment days. Displaying your problem solving skills also help and show that you can be a team player.