Systems Maintenance Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover

2011
Birmingham
26th June 2015

6.3/10

My job role is a Systems Maintenance Engineer at the Castle Bromwich Plant. Day's vary in intensity. Some can be incredibly busy and some quiet. The nature of the job.

I have received a good standard of education whilst on the apprenticeship programme. Trident Centre (Warwickshire College) had a few teething problems with bad tutors but pulled it together commendably. If you want to learn anything new and relevant on this apprenticeship, nobody will really stop you.

Thoroughly enjoyed, both in terms of the work I have been assigned and with the camaraderie at college. Went in with an open mind which is the big thing, I suppose.

By the company itself I feel very valued. I have received regular updates on my progress from my managers and group leaders. I feel no fear in asking my managers for help when something should go wrong.

The apprenticeship programme is well structured in the most part but the academic routes seem to be changing every year. The only part of the structure which took a while to get used to is a punishment culture at college. People within the apprenticeship seem as though they would rather scorn everyone for a minorities mistakes and make no attempt at recognition when you do well.

I have personally had a fantastic tutor. I could not have asked for more from him. My apprenticeship supervisor from my time at college however seems very distant from the programme. There were times when I needed advice but had to go through various channels of admin to get to him.

My manager is regularly updating me on the progress he thinks I'm making and asks me what he can do to help. An apprentice training room has recently been completed.

For the first year the wage is a bit tight to live on, however through the course of the programme it grows into a wage which is very generous based on performance.

I don't really see too much social side to the apprenticeship other than hanging around with people that you liked from college. Nothing is officially arranged by the apprenticeship programme.

Great company on the way up. Lots of launches planned and lots of room to expand its personal. Even if you don't like cars (like me) it seems like a no brainer.

On the assessment days be assertive but not overpowering in group tasks. Make sure you are heard but not seem to be a loud-mouth. Be yourself. If it's right for you it will happen. Be it this year or next year or the year after.