Maintenance Technician at EDF Energy

West Kilbride Scotland
June 2015

Connect with EDF Energy

4.9/10

I am a control and instrumentation apprentice who oversees the day to day maintenance of equipment such as guages, process loops and PLFT systems.

I have developed practical hands on skills and i have furthered my knowledge basis.

I have enjoyed areas of the programme differing amounts such as learning practical skils and completing hands on tasks I have enjoyed a lot however I let school with high qualifications and so theory elements have been boring.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 5 roles at EDF Energy

4. How valued do you feel by EDF Energy?

EDF have shown they value us every now and again however when looking at the wider company I feel we are under appreciated as we are the future.

The first two years spend in a training establishment were very well structured and we were guided by academy instructors. However on our return to our respective sites we have been left with little knowledge on how to further ourselves. Were if not for the fact we are all fairly proactive I feel we would have struggled.

After leaving the Babcock Training Academy we have recieved little to no contact other than a visit 2 or 3 times a year.

EDf seem relatively uninformed about thier own apprenticeship structure and as a result struggle to help us with anything.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 5 roles at EDF Energy

Well enough for meeting the requirements to live at home however at our age and looking to move from home it under supports our needs.

The company offers us the chance to interact with the local communities in school projects but it is mostly just to forward the apprenticeship status.

9. Would you recommend EDF Energy to a friend?

As an apprenticeship I would say it was one of the best however before this I had been accepted into university and chose to decline. On reflection I would have preferred to further my education as I feel in terms of knowledge and theory I have taken a backwards step.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to EDF Energy?

Have an open mind to team building as your relationships with others are vital.