Controls and Intrumentation Technician at EDF Energy

Heysham

Connect with EDF Energy

7.6/10

A typical day will cosist of shadowing and assisting Qualified Control and Instrumentation technicians on the jobs that they are asked to complete.

I have learnt many new skills during the apprenticeship scheme, mainly skills relevent to the Control and Instrumentation trade, but also communication, team working, and leadership skills.

I have found the programme both interesting and challenging, working on a power station presents constant opportunities to expand my knowledge and experience of controls and instrumentation.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 1 role at EDF Energy

4. How valued do you feel by EDF Energy?

There is a lot of emphasis placed on ensuring that the apprentices get the most out of the scheme. EDF try hard to make sure every apprentice recieves the support they need to reach the required standard.

The first two years of the apprenticeship would benefit from improved organisation and structure, but from the 3rd year onwards the programme has been much more organised.

Support is provided where it is needed, but I would say the majority of apprentices on this scheme are responsible enough to manage their own training and personal development.

Again my employer is more than willing to provide support if it is needed, but support is not something I feel that I would seek from work.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 1 role at EDF Energy

The Apprenticeship is well paid, and while we lived on HMS Collingwood in Portsmouth, a lot of our costs such as accomodation and food were covered by EDF.

There are lots of opportunities to get involved with the company outside of work and to take part in social events.

9a. Would you recommend EDF Energy to a friend? *

The EDF Apprenticeship scheme gives you a trade and experience in it, something that is very valuable and difficult to attain for young people these days. This opens up a lot of future career options both within and outside of EDF.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to EDF Energy? *

Be prepared to fully commit to the scheme, you will only get the most out of the apprenticeship if you are willing to put in the effort, but you will be well rewarded if you do.