Laboratory Science Apprenticeship at GSK
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Connect with GSK
Laboratory Science Apprenticeships at GSK
Our laboratory science higher apprenticeship will equip you with the skills and knowledge to tackle a variety of scientific challenges working in our research and development or manufacturing laboratories – the heartbeat of our company.
What does a Higher Laboratory Science apprenticeship involve?
We offer Laboratory Science Apprenticeships in either a manufacturing or a research & development (R&D) setting. The Laboratory Science apprenticeship will provide you with the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge in a number of areas. These might include:
- Operating specialist laboratory equipment to test our products and raw materials
- Learning about the process each drug or product follows though to full scale manufacturing.
- Microbiological & environmental sampling and testing
- Archiving and managing samples
- Operating specialist equipment to develop new products
- Developing new technology and processes
- Drug delivery
- Synthetic and analytical chemistry
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Report writing
As well as these, you will also develop your personal skills such as reasoning, communication, problem solving, team working, relationship building and influencing.
What does this apprenticeship offer me?
You have the option to join us in either a chemistry-based laboratory apprenticeship where you will study for a Foundation degree (FdSc) in Chemical Science or join us on a biology-based apprenticeship to gain a Foundation degree (FdSc) in Biological Science Technology.
Whichever route you chose, you will be based in a lab environment most of the week with one day per week to dedicate to your studies.
After completing the FdSc, most of our Laboratory Science Apprentices go on to study for their BSc.
What qualifications do I need to apply?
To be eligible for our laboratory science apprenticeship programme, you will need:
- a minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent at grades A*-C including English language (not literature), Science and Maths
- must have/be predicted to achieve a minimum of 96 UCAS points from your top 3 A-Levels (or equivalent) not including General Studies
- you must have an A Level (or equivalent) in Chemistry and/or Biology and/or Applied Science depending on which apprenticeship you hope to study.
You should specify whether you are more interested in a biology-based or chemistry-based apprenticeship in your application. To apply for a chemistry-based apprenticeship you will need a chemistry A Level (or equivalent) or to apply for a biology-based apprenticeship you will need a biology A Level (or equivalent).
What our apprentices say about the Laboratory apprenticeship...
“It feels great to run experiments and they run successfully. Others in the lab are doing the same level of chemistry - I’m never treated differently in the team.”
“I’m so proud to get on to the programme. I still walk in and think wow! My biggest achievement is, while only a 3rd year Apprentice, I am already an Instrument Owner. There are only two owners across GSK, as it's a new technology."
When can I start?
Our apprenticeships start in September 2018.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button below.View Similar Jobs
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!
Latests jobs from GSK
What is it like to be a GSK apprentice? To be an artwork and design apprentice is great, the opportunities that...