Process Engineering R&D (Research & Development) Apprenticeship
Process Engineering R&D (Research & Development) Apprenticeship
Exciting minds with our Process Engineering R&D (Research & Development) Apprenticeship (Stevenage)
- 5 GCSEs or equivalent grade 9-5 (A*-C) including Maths and English Language (not Literature).
- To have achieved or be predicted to achieve a minimum of 96 UCAS points from your top 3 A-Levels (or equivalent) not including General Studies
- Must have 3 A-Levels at grade at ABB (or above). To include A-level Chemistry and Maths.
We would love to receive your application and recommend you apply as soon as possible – we may need to close the role early when we have high levels of applications and do not want you to miss out!
We want you to be motivated and passionate for the Apprenticeship you apply to – so will only accept ONE Apprenticeship application per candidate each year. Please do your research before applying and select the one Apprenticeship you wish to apply to – vgood luck with your application!
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader in Consumer Healthcare, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we’re making the most significant changes we’ve made to our business in over 20 years.
We’re on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and genetics science; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent, and technology to get ahead of disease together – all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; and as a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culture that is ambitious for patients – so we deliver what matters better and faster; accountable for impact – with clear ownership of goals and support to succeed; and where we do the right thing. So, if you’re ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at this exciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
Achieve your career goals on our apprentice programme
On our 5 year programme you’ll receive tailored on-the-job training from industry experts from day one combined with early responsibility to help you to develop and progress.
You’ll be working towards a Bachelor of Engineering degree (BEng) in Chemical Engineering through a blended delivery model.
If you are offered a role; you will have a buddy or a mentor who will help you to prepare for joining GSK and will be there to offer support and guidance throughout your apprenticeship.
Working with both your line and programme manager we want to identify the right opportunities to help you succeed in the short term and throughout your career with us.
What will you do?
Your apprenticeship will be part of the Process Engineering team, Chemical Development, based at our UK R&D hub in Stevenage, which is the heart of innovation, discovering and developing differentiated, high-quality and needed medicines that are bringing transformational benefit to patients.
Our Process Engineers support the manufacture of active materials, which are blended with excipients to create the medicines that will eventually be given to patients around the world. The active materials are made via processes consisting of chemical transformations, purifications and crystallisations. These processes are developed through the close collaboration within teams of chemists, scientists, process engineers and analysts, in which process engineers are responsible for ensuring these processes successfully scale up from millilitre scale in the lab to production vessels at a scale of 2000L or greater.
Your duties might include:
- Working within multifunctional teams to generate process understanding
- Owning and setting up engineering equipment prior to experimentation as well as trouble shooting issues when these arise.
- Generate understanding by running laboratory scale experiments covering unit operations such as chemical transformation, purification, crystallisation, filtration and drying
- Contributing to scale up campaigns to confirm scale up and production campaigns to produce materials for clinical trials
- Explore and test new equipment or their functionalities to potentially be deployed across other projects
- Contributing to the generation of models to predict the performance of processes across scales
On successful completion of the apprenticeship, it is possible to secure a permanent role and continue to contribute to our mission. The large majority of our apprentices find permanent roles with us. For example you could offboard as an Associate Scientist within the Process Engineering team from where you will continue to develop experience of process engineering in the production of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients, becoming increasingly independent and transitioning to leading engineering aspects of single stages through to leading projects.
You’ll be excited by the thought of:
- Learning how medicines are developed at GSK and actively participate in projects teams by presenting your own work and integrating your contribution into the broader project deliveries.
- Building your theoretical process engineering skills, along with practical laboratory skills, and putting them into practice with hands on experimentation, to ensure successful scale up and supply of materials, knowing that you are playing a key role in supplying medicines to patients
- Developing models to predict process performance and testing these models against data generated across scales.
- Applying innovative solutions and new technologies, to deliver commercial processes that will be robust over the lifetime of the product
- Over time, developing skills in handling multiple aspects of projects and multiple projects as well as managing your own workload to deliver against set timelines, increasing your impact.
- Studying towards your Bachelor of Engineering degree (BEng) in Chemical Engineering.
- A competitive base salary of £17,500 per annum.
- An annual bonus
- A recognition programme to reward exceptional work by you and your team
- A performance and development programme
- Training and Development (including opportunities to attend annual Apprentice development events)
- Access to employee health and well-being programmes
- A fully-sponsored nationally recognised qualification
GSK are a science-led global healthcare company that researches and develops a broad range of innovative products in three primary areas of pharmaceuticals, vaccines and consumer healthcare within which all our 100,000 employees share the vision of helping people do more, feel better and live longer.
The scope and breadth of our business is reflected in the range of apprenticeship opportunities we offer to talented and ambitious individuals. Our apprenticeships will give you hands-on experience in your chosen discipline and the opportunity to play a key role in contributing to the future success of the company. Whilst you learn on-the-job from industry leaders, earn a competitive salary, you will also study towards a nationally recognised qualification. The GSK programme aims to lead to a professional qualification within 2 to 3 years, allowing you to quickly reach your career goals!
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.
Applications may close before the deadline, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.