Manufacturing Apprenticeship - Scotland
Manufacturing Apprenticeship - Scotland
Exciting minds with our Manufacturing Apprenticeship
- Minimum of five Scottish credit/general standard grades/ National 4/5 or equivalent or above, including Maths, English and Science
- One higher grade (or equivalent), preferably in a Maths or a Science subject
Other Basic Requirements:
- Irvine is a Penicillin Manufacturing site - please consider this if you are allergic to beta-lactam penicillin
Application closing date: We accept ongoing applications and will close this vacancy once we have enough applications, so it’s best to apply as soon as possible as we do not want you to miss out!
We want you to be motivated and passionate for the Apprenticeship you apply to – we will only accept ONE Apprenticeship application per candidate each year. Please do your research before applying and select the one Apprenticeship you wish to apply to – good luck with your application!
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader in Consumer Healthcare, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we’re making the most significant changes we’ve made to our business in over 20 years. We’re on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022: New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and genetics science; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent, and technology to get ahead of disease together – all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; and as a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culture that is ambitious for patients – so we deliver what matters better and faster; accountable for impact – with clear ownership of goals and support to succeed; and where we do the right thing. So, if you’re ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at this exciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
Our Irvine facility is a primary pharmaceutical manufacturing facility. At this site, active pharmaceutical ingredients are manufactured which then go on to be converted into products such as tablets, creams and inhalers- used to treat a range of illnesses and diseases.
Achieve your career goals on our Apprentice programme
Our Manufacturing Apprenticeship is designed to create the manufacturing technicians of the future. As a Manufacturing Apprentice you will develop the skills and knowledge required to operate the systems and equipment that produce our pharmaceutical products - from chemical processing to tablet and syrup manufacturing or pharmaceutical packaging.
On our 3-year programme, you’ll be working towards nationally recognised qualifications - a level 3 apprenticeship including an HNC in Engineering Practice Manufacturing and a City & Guilds in Process Technology Level 3. If you are offered an Apprenticeship; you will have a buddy or a mentor who will help you to prepare for joining GSK and will be there to offer support and guidance throughout your Apprenticeship.
What will you do?
During the Apprenticeship you will study the theory of pharmaceutical production, first touch engineering and lean manufacturing as well as safety and risk management. You will complete a series of on-site job rotations, learning how to operate the different equipment that makes our pharmaceutical products.
Your duties might include:
- Learning how to operate equipment used in the manufacture of our pharmaceutical products
- Investigating and solving problems and breakdowns
- Collecting data and analysing it to identify improvement opportunities
- Carrying out improvement projects with other apprentices and your team.
- Learning about the functions that support manufacturing (laboratory, engineering, logistics & scheduling)
- Assisting in new equipment introductions
- Ensuring the safety of our people and products
- Maintaining the quality and accuracy of our products.
- A competitive starting base salary of £14,000 per year, rising to £19,500 after one year
- Private healthcare
- A range of benefits including share schemes and tax-free bikes
- A recognition programme to reward exceptional work by you and your team
- Training and development (including opportunities to attend annual Apprentice development events)
GSK are a science-led global healthcare company that researches and develops a broad range of innovative products in three primary areas of pharmaceuticals, vaccines and consumer healthcare within which all our 100,000 employees share the vision of helping people do more, feel better and live longer.
The scope and breadth of our business is reflected in the range of apprenticeship opportunities we offer to talented and ambitious individuals. Our apprenticeships will give you hands-on experience in your chosen discipline and the opportunity to play a key role in contributing to the future success of the company. Whilst you learn on-the-job from industry leaders, earn a competitive salary, you will also study towards a nationally recognised qualification. The GSK programme aims to lead to a professional qualification within 2 to 3 years, allowing you to quickly reach your career goals!
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.
Applications may close before the deadline, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.