Manufacturing R&D (Research & Development) Apprenticeship
Manufacturing R&D (Research & Development) Apprenticeship
Exciting minds with our Manufacturing R&D (Research & Development) Apprenticeship (Stevenage)
- 5 GCSEs or equivalent grade 9-5 (A*-C) including Maths and English Language (not Literature).
- Must have/be predicted 96 UCAS points from your top 3 A levels
- Must have 3 A-level’s at CCC (or above) including Maths and an additional STEM subject.
We would love to receive your application and recommend you apply as soon as possible – we may need to close the role early when we have high levels of applications and do not want you to miss out!
We want you to be motivated and passionate for the Apprenticeship you apply to – so will only accept ONE Apprenticeship application per candidate each year. Please do your research before applying and select the one Apprenticeship you wish to apply to – good luck with your application!
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader in Consumer Healthcare, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we’re making the most significant changes we’ve made to our business in over 20 years.
We’re on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and genetics science; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent, and technology to get ahead of disease together – all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; and as a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culture that is ambitious for patients – so we deliver what matters better and faster; accountable for impact – with clear ownership of goals and support to succeed; and where we do the right thing. So, if you’re ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at this exciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
Achieve your career goals on our apprentice programme
On our 5 year programme you’ll receive tailored on-the-job training from industry experts from day one combined with early responsibility to help you to develop and progress.
You’ll be working towards a Bachelor of Engineering degree (BEng) in Professional Engineering (Science Industry Process & Plant Engineer). This programme is taught through block based or blended distance learning.
If you are offered a role; you will have a buddy or a mentor who will help you to prepare for joining GSK and will be there to offer support and guidance throughout your apprenticeship.
Working with both your line and programme manager we want to identify the right opportunities to help you succeed in the short term and throughout your career with us.
What will you do?
You will be part of one of our Research & Development (R&D teams). You will be within the Cell and Gene Therapy (CGT) Manufacturing-Catapult team, who are responsible for the hands on manufacture and timely delivery of life-saving clinical materials.
You will be based at our R&D site in Stevenage which is GSK’s UK R&D Hub, which is the heart of innovation, discovering and developing differentiated, high-quality and needed medicines that are bringing transformational benefit to patients.
Your duties might include:
- Hands on manufacture of clinical Drug Product, including manufacture of media and buffers, and cleaning and setup of equipment and facility
- Hands on management of materials and consumables: kitting of materials and transfer to GMP suite, including cleaning
- Perform daily operations of a multi-product GMP facility based on procedures and ways of working.
- Hands-on cGMP drug product manufacture including buffer/media preparation, equipment setup, and calibration, cell washing, selection, transduction, culture, harvest, formulation, and filling.
On successful completion of the apprenticeship, it is possible to secure a permanent role in GSK and continue to contribute to our mission. The large majority of our apprentices find permanent roles with us. For example you could offboard into a Manufacturing Associate role, with expanded responsibilities in Tech Transfer and Data Management!
You’ll be excited by the thought of:
- Contributing to the discovery and development of new medicines that bring transformational benefits to our patients
- Being part of an inclusive culture and energised teams at the forefront of the best science working with scientists and people from multiple disciplines.
- Building a range of skills and scientific knowledge in an R&D setting.
- Learning how to prioritise and manage multiple projects, objectives and deadlines with high attention to detail.
- Shaping your own development and learning new skills and concepts.
- Studying towards your Bachelor of Engineering degree (BEng) in Professional Engineering (Science Industry Process & Plant Engineer).
- A competitive base salary of £17,500 per annum.
- An annual bonus
- A recognition programme to reward exceptional work by you and your team
- A performance and development programme
- Training and Development (including opportunities to attend annual Apprentice development events)
- Access to employee health and well-being programmes
- A fully-sponsored nationally recognised qualification
GSK are a science-led global healthcare company that researches and develops a broad range of innovative products in three primary areas of pharmaceuticals, vaccines and consumer healthcare within which all our 100,000 employees share the vision of helping people do more, feel better and live longer.
The scope and breadth of our business is reflected in the range of apprenticeship opportunities we offer to talented and ambitious individuals. Our apprenticeships will give you hands-on experience in your chosen discipline and the opportunity to play a key role in contributing to the future success of the company. Whilst you learn on-the-job from industry leaders, earn a competitive salary, you will also study towards a nationally recognised qualification. The GSK programme aims to lead to a professional qualification within 2 to 3 years, allowing you to quickly reach your career goals!
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.
Applications may close before the deadline, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.