Laboratory Science (Chemistry) R&D Apprenticeship
Laboratory Science (Chemistry) R&D Apprenticeship
Exciting minds with our Laboratory Science (Chemistry) R&D (Research & Development) Apprenticeship
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent at grades 9-5 (A*-C) including English Language (not Literature), Science and Maths
- To have achieved or be predicted to achieve a minimum of 96 UCAS points from your top 3 A-Levels (or equivalent) not including General Studies
- To include an A Level Chemistry at grade C or above
We accept ongoing applications and will close this vacancy once we have enough applications, so it’s best to apply as soon as possible as we do not want you to miss out!
We want you to be motivated and passionate for the Apprenticeship you apply to – we will only accept ONE Apprenticeship application per candidate each year. Please do your research before applying and select the one Apprenticeship you wish to apply to – good luck with your application!
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader in Consumer Healthcare, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we’re making the most significant changes we’ve made to our business in over 20 years.
We’re on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and genetics science; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent, and technology to get ahead of disease together – all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; and as a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culture that is ambitious for patients – so we deliver what matters better and faster; accountable for impact – with clear ownership of goals and support to succeed; and where we do the right thing. So, if you’re ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at this exciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
Achieve your career goals on our apprentice programme
On our 4.5 year programme you’ll receive tailored on-the-job training from industry experts from day one combined with early responsibility to help you to develop and progress.
You’ll be working towards a Bachelors Degree (BSc) in Applied Chemical Sciences through a blended approach of day study and block release.
If you are offered a role; you will have a buddy or a mentor who will help you to prepare for joining GSK and will be there to offer support and guidance throughout your apprenticeship.
Working with both your line and programme manager we want to identify the right opportunities to help you succeed in the short term and throughout your career with us.
What will you do?
You will be part of one of our Research and Development (R&D) teams. You will be based at Stevenage or Ware at one of our R&D sites, which is the heart of innovation, discovering and developing differentiated, high-quality and needed medicines that are bringing transformational benefit to patients.
Your duties might include:
- Operating specialist laboratory equipment to test our products and raw materials.
- Learning about the process each drug or product follows through to full scale manufacturing.
- Using physical techniques to measure how tightly compounds bind to proteins and what happens when you change the compound structure.
- Growing crystals that allow us to use crystallography to see how well a drug fits into a protein target and what types of interaction it makes.
- Carrying out organic synthesis to deliver small quantities of compound for biological evaluation.
- Carrying out chemical reactions as part of the development process to produce active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) for use in clinical trials.
- Work in conjunction with chemists, scientists, chemical engineers and analysts to identify, develop and scale up new synthetic routes with transfer of processes to pilot plant facilities.
- Using different analytical technics such as spectrometry, magnetic resonance and chromatography to assess the quality of material prepared.
- Implementing new technologies such as flow chemistry, synthetic biochemistry (enzymes) and high throughput screening (automation) to accelerate development timelines.
- Looking at the material properties of API and drug product to determine how to design the best medicine for patients, by using a range of physical properties techniques such as Particle Size Analysis, X-Ray Powder Diffraction, Differential Scanning Calorimetry, microscopy techniques and bulk property testing.
On successful completion of the apprenticeship, it is possible to secure a permanent role in GSK and continue to contribute to our mission. The large majority of our apprentices find permanent roles with us. For example some previous Apprentices have gone on to become Associate Scientists!
You’ll be excited by the thought of:
- Building your laboratory skills and scientific knowledge in an R&D setting
- Contribute to the discovery and development of new medicines that bring transformational benefits to our patients
- Working as part of a team of scientists
- Learning how to prioritise and manage projects, objectives and deadlines with high attention to detail.
- Studying towards your Bachelors Degree (BSc) in Applied Chemical Sciences.
- A competitive starting base salary of £17,500 per year, rising to £21,500 after one year
- An annual bonus
- Benefit programmes benchmarked against industry standards
- A recognition programme to reward exceptional work by you and your team
- Training and Development (including opportunities to attend annual Apprentice development events)
- Access to employee health and well-being programmes
- A fully-sponsored nationally recognised qualification
GSK are a science-led global healthcare company that researches and develops a broad range of innovative products in three primary areas of pharmaceuticals, vaccines and consumer healthcare within which all our 100,000 employees share the vision of helping people do more, feel better and live longer.
The scope and breadth of our business is reflected in the range of apprenticeship opportunities we offer to talented and ambitious individuals. Our apprenticeships will give you hands-on experience in your chosen discipline and the opportunity to play a key role in contributing to the future success of the company. Whilst you learn on-the-job from industry leaders, earn a competitive salary, you will also study towards a nationally recognised qualification. The GSK programme aims to lead to a professional qualification within 2 to 3 years, allowing you to quickly reach your career goals!
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.
Applications may close before the deadline, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.