GSK are a science-led global healthcare company that researches and develops a broad range of innovative products in three primary areas of pharmaceuticals, vaccines and consumer healthcare within which all our 100,000 employees share the vision of helping people do more, feel better and live longer.
Laboratory Science Level 5 Apprenticeship
All GSK products spend time in a laboratory, whether that’s during the development of a new treatment or the testing our products to ensure quality conformance. Our Laboratory apprenticeship will equip you with the skills and knowledge to tackle a variety of scientific challenges working in our R&D or manufacturing laboratories.
What does a Laboratory apprenticeship involve?
We offer Laboratory apprenticeships in either a manufacturing or a research & development (R&D) setting. The Laboratory apprenticeship will provide you with the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge in a number of areas. These might include:
- Operating specialist laboratory equipment to test our products and raw materials
- Learning about the process each drug or product follows though to full scale manufacturing.
- Microbiological & environmental sampling and testing
- Archiving and managing samples
- Operating specialist equipment to develop new products
- Developing new technology and processes
- Drug delivery
- Synthetic and analytical chemistry
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Report writing
As well as these, you will also develop your personal skills such as reasoning, communication, problem solving, team working, relationship building and influencing.
What does this apprenticeship offer me?
- Higher Apprenticeship (Level 5) - You will study for a Foundation degree (FdSc) in Chemical Science or in Applied Chemical or Biological Science Technology, via distance learning one day a week.
Please specify whether you are more interested in a biology-based or chemistry-based apprenticeship in your application.
What qualifications do I need to apply?
Higher Apprenticeship (Level 5)
- A minimum 5 GCSEs A*-C including Maths, English Language (not literature) and Science or equivalent.
- 96 UCAS points on the 2017 tariff including Chemistry and/or Biology and/or Applied Science depending on which apprenticeship you hope to study.
What our apprentices say about the Laboratory apprenticeship...
“It feels great to run experiments and they run successfully. Others in the lab are doing the same level of chemistry; I’m never treated differently in the team”.
“I’m so proud to get on to the programme. I still walk in and think wow”!
“My biggest achievement is, whilst only a 3rd year Apprentice, that I am already an Instrument Owner. There are only two owners across GSK, as it's a new technology”.
When does the apprenticeship start?
Our apprenticeships start in August/September 2017.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button below.View Similar Jobs
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!