GE Aviation Engineering Degree Apprentice
by GE Aviation
GE Aviation Engineering Degree Apprentice
Part of GE Aviation Systems, Dowty Propellers has a long heritage of excellence in customer service and leading innovation in design and manufacturing of propeller systems. Whilst maintaining large installed civil and military bases across the globe, we continue to look forward to new applications and technologies as demand for sustainable low carbon mobility gathers pace.
We are looking for Degree Apprentices to join our engineering team in Gloucester, UK.
Typically a five year programme, the Degree Apprenticeship is alternative to full-time University, allowing you to study for an Engineering Degree part time, accredited by University of The West of England (UWE, Bristol.) The educational programme entails 3 years study at Gloucestershire College in Cheltenham towards a foundation degree, followed by 2 years at UWE to achieve a BEng. In parallel, you will be gaining industrial experience working directly at Dowty on a variety of engineering projects.
The programme includes the EAL Level 4 diploma in Engineering and Advanced Manufacturing (Development Competence,) a structured programme aimed at gaining a variety of competencies required for a successful career in engineering. Supplemented by a variety of other development opportunities within the broader GE family, we believe this challenging programme provides an excellent gateway into the wider world of advanced aerospace engineering.
Dowty Propellers, part of GE Aviation Systems based in Gloucestershire, is a leading supplier of advanced technology, composite-bladed propeller systems for a wide range of regional turboprop and military transport aircraft. As a world-leading manufacturer of integrated propeller systems, Dowty Propellers provides solutions for the propulsion systems of today and tomorrow. Key programs include the Lockheed Martin C-130J, the De-Haviland, Dash 8-400 and the Leonardo C-27J.
Its products are used in applications that range from regional airliners and military airlifters to marine hovercraft. Operated by a highly skilled workforce, Dowty Propellers’ in-house production expertise for composite blades includes application of resin transfer molding processes, which have been continuously evolved and perfected since 1976; and the use of braiding machines that rapidly and accurately apply the blades’ fibre outer layers.
This is a broad-based programme offering a wide range of activities to build well rounded engineers with well-developed interpersonal and team-working skills. The programme consists of -
- Enrolment in EAL Level 4 diploma in Engineering and Advanced Manufacturing (Development Competence.)
- Enrolment in a BEng Hons degree in Aerospace Engineering at the University of The West of England (Bristol.)
- A series of work placements within our engineering teams to gain skills and experience working on front line projects. These typically cover mechanical design, composites design, mechanical analysis, aero-acoustics, controls, electronics and systems engineering and manufacturing engineering.
- Enrolment to the GE Gold Award development scheme?
- Support from technical and pastoral mentors from both Dowty and the university
- Numerous opportunities to participate in enrichment activities, local school’s engagement, the GE apprentice network and various external events such as the Cheltenham Science Festival, Imagineering, Go4SET, GirlsGetSET and the K'Nex Challenge
- Three A-levels (or equivalent) at grade B (depends on the university requirement) or above. Maths is mandatory, and other STEM subjects, such as physics are desirable.
- An analytical, collaborative approach to problem solving
- Demonstrated performance in a team environment
- Dedication to a career in engineering and a real passion for aerospace technology
- An understanding of our business and products, and the broader aerospace industry and the challenges we face
- A commitment to personal development and community volunteering
GE Aviation is a world-leading provider of commercial, military and business and general aviation jet and turboprop engines and components, along with avionics, electrical power and mechanical systems for aircraft. At GE Aviation, we invent the future of flight, lift people up, and bring them home safely. Whether we’re manufacturing components for our GE9X engines, driving innovation in fuel and noise reduction, or unlocking new opportunities to grow and deliver more productivity, the GE Aviation teams are dedicated to moving the aerospace industry forward.
If you join us, you’ll find yourself in a dynamic environment where our ongoing, substantial investment in research and development keeps us looking ahead. At GE Aviation, developing people is embedded in our culture and integral to our growth. Here you’ll work collaboratively and cross-functionally with the highest calibre talent, utilizing cutting-edge technology and processes. If you’re passionate about generating advances in aviation to solve some of the world’s toughest problems and are looking for a career rich with challenges and unlimited opportunities for growth and advancement, then join GE Aviation as we rise to the challenge of building a world that works.
With over 1,600 employees, GE Aviation Cheltenham is one of the largest GE Aviation sites outside the USA and a major contributor to the local economy.
Our heritage dates back to 1940 yet our technology is cutting-edge. Located in the heart of Gloucestershire, GE Aviation Cheltenham focuses on the design, development and manufacture of state-of-the-art aircraft power distribution and avionics systems for the global aviation industry. Our customers include all major aerospace manufacturers - covering commercial, business jet and military applications. The scale and complexity of engineering projects at GE Aviation Cheltenham offer our employees unique opportunities to work on major international projects, developing critical aircraft systems that will be relied on by many people for decades to come.
GE Aviation Cheltenham is actively committed to inclusivity and diversity. We regularly run science, technology, engineering & maths (STEM) programmes with local secondary schools, support the Cheltenham Science Festival and support the promotion of women in engineering. At GE Aviation, we strive to be an employer of choice by offering placements, apprenticeships, mentoring and staff development programmes that create a workplace where everyone can be themselves and achieve their full potential.
Innovation, a commitment to engineering excellence and leadership development places GE Aviation Cheltenham as a pioneering force in building the future of flight.
Are you looking for the opportunity to gain a Bachelors Degree in Electronic & Computer Engineering, and hands-on engineering experience, whilst working in a dynamic and global organisation? Do you want to gain a higher level qualification, but aren’t sure if full-time university is the right route for you? Are you interested in learning on the job, and putting your learning into practice in a real, global, engineering environment? Do you have the potential to be a future Engineer?
As an Engineering Degree Apprentice (EDA) you will be based within our 600+ person Engineering department. Throughout your 5-year apprenticeship, you will be supported through, and study, a Level 6 Embedded Electronic Systems Design & Development Engineer Apprenticeship, which is delivered in partnership with University of West of England (UWE).
You will be based at Cheltenham for the duration of your apprenticeship, with regular time out to attend university sessions, which are delivered from Gloucestershire College Cheltenham Campus Y1-3 and from UWE, Bristol Y4-5. The scheme is rotational, offering you the opportunity to experience key engineering functions, and work on real engineering projects, with real responsibility, in placements that typically last for 6 months.
Spending time in Software, Electronic, Systems, Test and Sustainment projects provides you with the opportunity to build a strong network, apply your skills in different environments and become a well-rounded engineer with experience across the full engineering development lifecycle.
This exceptional Engineering Degree Apprentice Programme exposes you to all areas of a global organization, intent on solving some of the world’s largest problems, and you will have the opportunity to see first-hand how ideas come to life. The Engineering Degree Apprentice Programme is a fantastic opportunity to challenge yourself in an encouraging, supportive environment, whilst gaining hands-on experience of some of the most complex engineering challenges in the world today.
The programme consists of:
EMBEDDED ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER LEVEL 6 APPRENTICESHIP (YEARS 1 - 5)
- BEng (Hons) Degree in Electronic & Computer Engineering
- Application for Professional Registration as IET Engineering Technician (EngTech)
- 6-month rotations in Live Avionics engineering teams to gain skills and experience in Software, Electronics, Systems Engineering, Test and Sustainment disciplines Years 2 - 4
- Longer rotation, within a specific engineering discipline, to continue experience depth in Year 5
- Training to improve your Professional Development Skills, including collaboration and leadership skills, presentations and business insight
- Completion of the GE Team Development Award Scheme
- Support from Technical, Academic and Pastoral Mentors
- Numerous opportunities to participate in enrichment activities, local schools' engagement, the GE Apprentice network and various external events such as the Cheltenham Science Festival, Imagineering Shows, Go4SET, Engineering Education Scheme and GirlsGetSET
- Opportunity to gain a Six Sigma Greenbelt Certification
Beyond Year 5:
- Opportunity to attend the Aviation Appreciation Course (Ground School & Flight Training)
- Application for Professional Registration as IET Incorporated Engineer (IEng)
ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS PRINCIPAL ENGINEER LEVEL 7 APPRENTICESHIP (OPTIONAL IN YEARS 6 - 7)
- The option to continue to a bespoke MSc in Digital Electronics Systems Engineering, or PGDip in Engineering Management
- Progression towards Professional Registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng) with the IET
On completion, you will have the skills and experience required to progress your career into one of our engineering functions, including:
- Systems Engineering, Software Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Test Systems and Sustainment allowing you the scope to grow your career in a variety of directions.
This posting is for our September 2022 Apprentice intake, and Assessment Centres will take place during January - April 2022. If you are successful in getting through the initial CV screening, you will be invited to record a video application. Successful candidates at the Video stage will be invited to a full day Assessment Centre at GE Aviation Systems in Cheltenham. All application invitations will be issued via email.
To be enrolled on the apprenticeship, candidates must have achieved:
- 5 GCSE’s (including Maths and English, at grades C/4 or above)
- u will also need a minimum of 112 UCAS points via:
- Three A-Levels at grade BBC or above, one of which must be Maths at grade B, plus another STEM-based subject such as Physics/Electronics/Computing or similar, or,
- BTEC Extended Diploma in Engineering at grade DMM or above, or,
- Equivalent qualification with appropriate Maths content
You will also need to demonstrate:
- Commitment to Personal Development and Community Volunteering
- Dedication to a career in technology and a genuine passion for engineering
- Pro-activity, initiative and enthusiasm
- A genuine interest in, and experience of, working with people
- An analytic and collaborative approach to problem-solving
- An awareness of the GE Aviation Systems Cheltenham business, including our products and customers
Additional consideration will be given if you are able to demonstrate:
- GE Work Experience and/or participation in one of our Educational Strategy schemes - GirlsGetSET, Cheltenham Science Festival, K’Nex Challenge, Engineering Education Scheme, Imagineering, Go4SET, Industrial Cadets, etc.
Stage 1- Submit your application (4th October – 28th February 2022)
However, if we receive sufficient applications we may close earlier. Initial applications need to be submitted online via our application page. To apply, you will need:
- Supporting statement
Your supporting statement should be no more than 500 words (approx. 1 side of A4) and should provide an original summary, created by you, of any relevant experiences or evidence that
outlines why you are the right candidate for this apprenticeship.
A CV and supporting statement must be submitted for your application to be considered or
Stage 2 – Video Interview
If you are successful at stage 1, you will be invited to complete a video interview. Instructions will be sent to you via the email address you used to submit your application.
Stage 3 – On site assessment centre
A mandatory on-site assessment centre must be attended to progress your application. Candidates will be invited to attend an all-day Assessment Centre in either February, March or April 2022 – dates TBC.
Please ensure you are available to attend during these months before applying. Candidates unable to attend assessment centre will be unable to complete the recruitment process.
Good luck with your application.
Start Date: Monday 12th September 2022
Applicable to both
At GE Aviation we understand the importance of Total Reward. Our flexible benefits plan, called FlexChoice, gives you freedom, choice and flexibility in the way you receive your benefits, as well as giving you the opportunity to make savings where possible.
As a new joiner to GE we are pleased to be able to offer you the following as default in your benefit fund, which you then can tailor to meet your individual needs;
- Non-contributory Pension
- Life Assurance
- Group income protection
- Private medical cover
- Holiday Hourly equivalent of 26 days, with flexible option to buy or sell
Right to Work
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, under the applicable UK immigration rules as may be in place from time to time, it may be that candidates who do not currently have the right to work in the UK may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled candidate who does not require sponsorship is available to take up the post. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance: BPSS
About GE Aviation
GE Aviation is a world-leading provider of commercial, military and business and general aviation jet and turboprop engines and components, along with avionics, electrical power and mechanical systems for aircraft. At GE Aviation, we invent the future of flight, lift people up, and bring them home safely.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.
Applications may close before the deadline, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.