BDO Audit School Leaver Programme
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll broaden your horizons
The work of our Audit teams is essential, not just to BDO, but to the whole economy. Working within a range of companies, from start-ups to FTSE350 companies, in multiple sectors, they verify the accuracy of our clients’ financial statements for stakeholders, ensuring the stability and authenticity of the financial market. It’s not just analysing numbers though;
Audit teams really get to know their clients. That means you’ll spend every day working as part of a team, often on clients’ premises, working with key individuals to understand their financial performance, business systems, culture and risks. The School Leaver Programme offers unparalleled exposure to a range of sectors and the potential for international secondment.
We’ll help you succeed
As a school leaver, the Audit and Assurance School Leaver Programme is your opportunity to combine work experience with achieving your professional qualifications. We’ll provide the training in skills, behaviours and professional knowledge you’ll need not just to pass your exams, but also to become an exceptional BDO advisor.
You will be completing the Associate Chartered Accountants (ACA) and Level 7 Apprenticeship programme. For the first twelve months you’ll focus on the Certificate level, then continue with the remaining ACA. If you pass all your exams and complete your apprenticeship activities and learning plan, you’ll be a qualified accountant within four years and achieve a Level 7 Accountancy/Taxation Professional Apprenticeship (if eligible). Our pass results are often up to 10% above the national average. This is a unique opportunity to qualify in a working environment with a network of exceptional colleagues who will be invested in helping you achieve your full potential. As part of that, you’ll:
- Study towards your ICAEW – ACA Level 7 Accountancy/Taxation Apprenticeship
- Where appropriate, be assigned an Apprenticeship Coach
- Be assigned a BDO Buddy to personally mentor you
- Have access to specialist support for your professional exams
- Be given real professional responsibility that will help you grow
- Enjoy a supportive culture where colleagues are invested in your career
You don’t need to know exactly which business area you want to focus on at this stage. We’ll give you as much information as possible throughout the process to find the one that best
When you join us as a school leaver, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you’re right for us, you’ll thrive in an environment built to help you succeed. We’re looking for the following:
- Three A-levels or equivalent at A* -C excluding General Studies and Extended Projects (obtained or predicted)
- 9-4 in Maths and English at GCSE/Scottish Standards or equivalent (non-UK qualifications also considered)
- Ability and commitment to balance study and professional work
- Strong desire to understand our business and achieve your full potential
- Candidates who hold an undergraduate degree are not eligible for this scheme, but are welcome to explore our graduate programmes
We understand that everyone learns in different ways and the same environment isn’t always suited to every task. We’ll help you deliver the best quality output by giving you choice and flexibility around how, when and where you work. When you need to work collaboratively, you’ll be able to work closely with colleagues, whether that’s in our offices, onsite with clients, or one of our brand-new hubs; when you need to focus, you’ll be able to work from home or in one of our quiet concentration spaces, using technology to stay connected with colleagues.
We’ll provide the environment, digital tools and training to enable you to perform at your best, whatever the task in hand, for yourself, your team, and your clients.
We’re in it together
At BDO, we believe that when our people feel valued and rewarded, their potential is unlimited. We offer highly competitive starting salaries and review remuneration packages regularly to ensure that our pay always positively reflects performance. As well as offering support with tuition and professional qualifications, we also provide the following core benefits:
- 25 days’ holiday;
- access to a Group Personal Pension Plan, with matched employer contributions;
- Life Assurance cover;
- Income Protection insurance;
That’s not all. We understand that everyone is different, so we offer a range of voluntary benefits to suit every lifestyle. Our flexible benefits platform, Flexcel, means our people can choose from a range of tax efficient options to design a benefit package that best suits them. Through Flexcel, they can:
- buy up to ten days’ extra holiday;
- add on Private Medical, Personal Accident, Dental or Travel Insurance; Home Technology
- enrol in our Bikes to Work scheme;
- enjoy discounts at cinemas, dining out, shopping and gyms through our Employee Discounts arrangement;
- receive an interest free season ticket loan or interest free graduate loan;
- access additional services like our financial wellbeing platform, online GP service or our Employee Assistance Programme
We’re looking forward to the future
At BDO, we’re big enough to make the difference and collaborative enough to never lose sight of where we’re going. We know that it’s our people that make our success possible. We have over 5000 people working across our 17 UK locations providing tax, audit, assurance and a range of advisory services that help our clients achieve their ambitious goals.
Together, they’re fuelling Britain’s economic engine. Behind every complex client challenge and every untapped innovation, they’re there: ensuring we continue to find the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise. That’s why we’re always looking for ways to invest in our people. That means providing them with an environment where they can grow, learn, laugh and feel respected, at all times.
Are you ready to join us?
Our firm is distinctive and we want to preserve and build on the strengths of our culture and the characteristics that make us both successful and different. We look for people from all kinds of backgrounds who share these same qualities.
When the most ambitious, entrepreneurial and high-growth businesses need advice on accountancy and business, they turn to BDO. We are a major global player in our industry and take pride in always keeping sight of our clients’ unique needs. Integrity is at the heart of everything we do. The investment we make in building long-term relationships with our clients is a big part of why our clients would recommend us more than any other firm.
How to apply
To apply for this programme and to find out more, please click on the apply button below.
We encourage you to apply early as we recruit on a rolling basis therefore, applications will close when roles are filled.
Awards for BDO
Latests jobs from BDO
BDO School Leaver, Consumer Markets
Hear about Aimee's experience at BDO