Canine Carer Level 2 Apprenticeship (Camp Tails Doggy Day Care) at KEITS
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Canine Carer Level 2 Apprenticeship (Camp Tails Doggy Day Care)
A fantastic opportunity for someone who has a keen love of animals to become one of our Camp Carers, look after dogs and be part of a growing award-winning team.
You will have a natural affinity with dogs and obviously a dog lover!
You will most likely not have gained experience that will be that relevant, however we expect you to have at least walked a dog and know some basic commands. We do expect you to have an understanding of dogs and general behaviour, be confident in and around a group of dogs and have a positive attitude to join our team.
Vacancies always prove to be popular so think about what makes you stand out to be in with a chance for an interview.
- Contribute to providing a caring, stimulating and safe environment for all dogs
- Caring and general supervision of the dogs
- Vigilance in supervising their care, well-being and entertainment
- Ensuring a plentiful supply of water
- Ensuring dog waste is removed immediately
- Tending to the dogs thoughtfully, gently and with care
- Feeding the dogs correctly (measured and on time)
- Dealing with any “special needs” dogs, i.e. older dogs or some on medication
- Paying close attention to the notices regarding dogs status such as an injury, recent surgery or allergy
- Careful and efficient monitoring of any changes or differences in dogs behaviour/temperament/condition
- Communicating and working with the team
- Treating peers with respect
- General cleaning duties, hoovering, sweeping, mopping, polishing, washing up etc.
- All other miscellaneous duties that may occur on a day to day basis
- Any other reasonable duties as per the needs of the business evolves
- You will answer to and work directly with the Managing Director
- Ensuring dogs are happy and safe at all times
- Keeping an open and honest dialogue with senior management
Training to be provided
- Full training towards Level 2 Animal Care and Welfare Assistant, including FS if required, to be provided by the employer and KEITS
- You will be expected to demonstrate a calm approach
- A natural love of dogs
- A caring and professional approach
- Trustful - Held a position or performed a duty previously which details high levels of trust (at school if this is first position, i.e. prefect, club leader)
- Efficient and thorough, paying attention to detail
- Able to follow written and verbal instructions exactly
- Can prove your reliability, your attendance record must be exemplary
- Highly committed to the dogs wellbeing and happiness
- Work experience within a dog environment such as a shelter or kennels immediately puts ahead of other candidates
- Friendly face to face manner and personable soft skills
- Capable of communicating clearly with all members of the team
- Pro active approach
- Positive outlook
- GCSE's or equivalent in maths and English Grade C/4 or higher are desirable but not essential
- Relevant animal experience is desired
- Further training and senior positions may be available on completion of your apprenticeship
- All apprentices that excel will be considered for Level 3 qualification on completion of the Level 2/3 course
- After your initial apprenticeship continued professional development is encouraged with various additional skills offered such as pet first aid, dog behaviour, dog psychology and the Level 3 diploma
- This vacancy in particular will have the opportunity for progression into a senior level if the candidate has the right credentials and we will be looking for qualities that can suit this development route. Feel free to state on application if this is a desire
Things to consider
- Due to the hours and our location it is essential you have access to your own transport/can guarantee you will arrive to work on time
- You will need to arrive ready to start for 8am (by 7:45am) and leave after the last dog at 6pm on working days
- You will be active most of the day, some find the role too tiring and therefore will not be suitable for the position
- It is a long day but most enjoyable – you get what you put in
- We pick up dog mess! We work long shifts, which are very tiring, running around after dogs is physically tiring, you need to be fit!
- We are inside and outside in all weathers!
- KEITS Training Services Ltd reserves the right to close the vacancy earlier than the listed closing date should the need arise
Camp Tails Doggy Daycare is a multi-award winning dog daycare in Bury St Edmunds who strive to offer the best for our dogs. It is a luxury Unkennelled environment, (resembling a children’s nursery) where dogs play freely together. We have ball pits climbing frames, paddling pools, slides and wendy houses, plus lots of interactive games for the dogs to play.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.