DE&S/SDA Finance and Accounting Apprenticeship Scheme at Defence Equipment & Support
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Connect with Defence Equipment & Support
DE&S/SDA Finance and Accounting Apprenticeship Scheme
Join an integral part of the UK's defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces’ equipment, fighter jets, submarines, armoured vehicles and aircraft carriers, clothing, food and ammunition.
If you’ve got the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's armed forces, and help to deliver on operations at home and abroad, apply online now.
DE&S and SDA are looking for talented, motivated Apprentices to join our Finance and Accounting (F&A) Apprentice Scheme and become our F&A professionals of the future.
The DE&S/SDA F&A Apprenticeship Scheme is a three year development programme focused around finance and accountancy roles across different areas of DE&S and SDA.
You will rotate through several placements within DE&S or SDA. You may also have opportunities to work in other finance roles supporting the wider Ministry of Defence and front-line commands.
Day to day, your placements will provide you with the opportunity to learn about all aspects of finance and accounting. You’ll gain real experience in:
- forecasting the future budget;
- reviewing and creating accruals;
- interpreting financial and business data;
- providing financial analysis to support decision making;
- involvement in developing costing for business cases;
- tracking costs to contracts and ensuring they’re recorded correctly;
- using financial systems and business tools.
Your hands on experience will be underpinned by MOD and DE&S/SDA specific training, as well as study towards achieving Association of Accounting Technician (AAT) qualification (Levels 3 & 4) over a three year period. Training will be delivered by a Bristol based AAT training provider.
Please note that due to the current Covid-19 situation, your training will initially be online with our AAT training provider. This may change over time when our training provider is able to re-support classroom based learning.
Due to the classification of work in some areas of DE&S and SDA applicants who hold a dual nationality may be restricted in where they can be placed.
Please note this is a development scheme and candidates with qualifications equal to or higher than that achieved on the scheme will not be eligible. All vocational and academic qualifications held or in progress must be declared.
To provide support to F&A staff across the business assisting with project activities. You’ll be involved in the following:
- Providing support to F&A staff across the business, this could include assisting with financial reporting, administrative activities and transactional activities.
- Building and maintaining a network of internal business contacts and peers to share and gain knowledge and identify opportunities to learn and develop.
- Building awareness and understanding of how the F&A function and wider business operates to assist your own development and career progression.
- Undertaking placement activities in accordance with agreed objectives in each placement area. Placement activity may include budgeting, forecasting, inventory accounting, systems management along with other finance based tasks.
- To be accountable to the Scheme Manager (who ensures successful completion of professional training and completion of placement objectives).
What you will be assessed against
Your CV must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- Candidates must have or be studying to attain a minimum of five full GCSEs A-C or grades 9-4 (or equivalent) including English Language with Maths minimum grade B.
It is also beneficial to your application if you can demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- A Levels in any subject (or equivalent).
- Relevant work experience, demonstrating finance/accounting skills, including through internships or placements.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Delivering at Pace
- Working Together
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Accounts Management
Alongside training and development, you’ll receive the following great benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements so that your work fits in with your lifestyle.
- 25 days holiday a year, increasing one day a year to 30 days after five years.
- A competitive remuneration package and access to two Civil Service Pension options.
- Use of our on-site gym, restaurants and cafes.
- A huge variety of high street discounts and savings.
About Defence Equipment & Support
DE&S is a first-class and inspiring organisation, offering unique experiences supporting the UK’s armed forces and delivering some of the world’s most complex projects.
We employ over 11,500 people, and with a budget of over £10 billion, we buy, support and supply vital equipment and services that the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force need to operate effectively.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.
Applications may close before the deadline, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.