DE&S/SDA Project Professional Apprenticeship Scheme at Defence Equipment & Support
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Connect with Defence Equipment & Support
DE&S/SDA Project Professional Apprenticeship Scheme
Join an integral part of the UK's defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces’ equipment, fighter jets, submarines, armoured vehicles and aircraft carriers, clothing, food and ammunition.
If you’ve got the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's armed forces, and help to deliver on operations at home and abroad, apply online now.
DE&S and SDA are looking for talented, motivated and skilled Apprentices to join our Project Professional Apprenticeship Scheme and become our project delivery professionals of the future.
This two-year scheme will develop apprentices’ knowledge and understanding of how our projects are delivered, gaining an insight into Project Management (PM) and Project Controls (PC) including scheduling, risk management and cost analysis.
Successful applicants will work towards studying for the Association of Project Managers (APM) Project Management Qualification (PMQ) to attain a Level 4 Associate Project Manager Apprenticeship, upon scheme completion. Should you successfully complete the scheme you’ll move into a Level 1 role within the PC function to continue your development.
You’ll also undertake two one-year project placements that’ll give you the opportunity to build skills and experience while you play an active role in managing, controlling and delivering projects. Your placements will cover several areas to give you a broad experience of the organisation and project roles.
Due to the classification of work in some areas of DE&S and SDA, applicants who hold a dual nationality may be restricted in where they can be placed.
To provide support to PM & PC staff across the business assisting with project activities and developing yourself. You’ll be involved in the following:
- Developing and documenting components of projects as required by the Project Team.
- Cost estimating, analysis and control activities.
- Scheduling development, maintenance and monitoring.
- Risk, assumptions, issues, dependencies and opportunities management.
- Earned value management analysis and control activities.
- Development of workforce planning and staffing plans.
- Providing data to support business cases, strategic plans, customer presentations.
- Gaining an overview from PMs of bid evaluation and contract negotiations.
- Building and maintaining a network of internal business contacts and peers to share and gain knowledge and identify opportunities to learn and develop.
- Owning and being responsible for personal and professional development across the business.
- Building awareness and understanding of how PC functions (including PC sub-functions) work with PM and the wider business.
- You’ll undertake professional and functional training, including studying for APM PMQ & Level 4 Associate Project Manager Apprenticeship qualifications within two years.
What you will be assessed against
Your CV must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- Candidates must have 5 GCSEs at grade C to A* (or equivalent) including English Language and Maths;
- Candidates must already have or will achieve two A Levels at grade D to A* in any subject (or equivalent)
It is also beneficial to your application if you can demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Relevant work experience, demonstrating project skills, including through internships or placements.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Controlling a Project
Alongside training and development, you’ll receive the following great benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements so that your work fits in with your lifestyle.
- 25 days holiday a year, increasing one day a year to 30 days after five years.
- A competitive remuneration package and access to two Civil Service Pension options.
- Use of our on-site gym, restaurants and cafes.
- A huge variety of high street discounts and savings.
About Defence Equipment & Support
DE&S is a first-class and inspiring organisation, offering unique experiences supporting the UK’s armed forces and delivering some of the world’s most complex projects.
We employ over 11,500 people, and with a budget of over £10 billion, we buy, support and supply vital equipment and services that the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force need to operate effectively.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.
Applications may close before the deadline, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.