Commercial Apprenticeship Steelpark at Tata Steel
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Connect with Tata Steel
Commercial Apprenticeship Steelpark
Salary: Year 1 £13,720, Year 2 £14,790
Length of Apprenticeship: 2 Years
Are you looking for an exciting career? Do you want to be a part of a world class, global organisation where you can really make a difference?
We are looking for Commercial apprentices to join our 2021 apprenticeship scheme at our Steelpark site.
Our Tata Steel apprenticeship programme is just the beginning. Where you go next is up to you.
Tata Steel Distribution UK & Ireland (TSDUK&I) are based at the Steelpark in Wednesfield, it is the largest steel processing facility in the UK. TSDUK&I also have facilities in Llanwern, South Wales and Lisburn in Northern Ireland. Across the business we process all forms of strip steel products and manufacture components such as safety barriers.
The Commercial Apprenticeship is for 2 years, where you will gain experience across the commercial function at the Steelpark Service Centre. This could include disciplines such as sales, customer services, business development, pricing and procurement. Our expectation is that we provide a platform for our apprentices to learn and develop and achieve their full potential.
Commercial Apprenticeship Overview
These roles will initially rotate through various business processes, including sales, customer service, business development, pricing and procurement to enable the apprentices to develop a robust knowledge of our business and how it operates.
The apprentice will have a generic role designed to build their skills and knowledge with a view that at the end of the programme they will have developed sufficient capability to progress into a commercial role.
They will develop a wide range of skills and knowledge on the company products and processes, whilst also gaining an appreciation of commercial considerations and skills required to perform in our organisation. The apprentice will be involved with, but not exclusively:
- Supporting the Customer Service team with all aspects of administration regarding compliance.
- Collecting and analysing data in order to maximise customer satisfaction.
- Developing an in depth understanding of the ERP system (STRATIX) and other IT systems within the company.
- Working within the Customer Services and sales team to obtain a detailed understanding of key processes such as quotation management, order acknowledgement and managing and maintaining an order book.
- Learning how to interrogate the IT systems in order to provide analysis and reporting to the business to support customer care.
- Understanding and applying guidelines from Tata policies such as Product Policy, credit, capacity, purchase orders and compliance customer requirements.
- Learning how to translate the customer requirements into Tata Steel systems.
- Checking and ensuring accuracy in customer orders.
- Become familiar with product quality requirements and how this impacts the ability to fulfil customer orders.
- Work closely with Account Managers to understand their role and support them with customer activities such as processing orders, changes, complaints and analysis.
- Learning how to identify critical service issues and how to resolve these.
- Become fully aware of the Tata Steel Health and Safety policy
- Develop understanding of the interface between Tata Steel product/process offer to the appropriate target market
- Market Research experience in order to gain knowledge of the appropriate target market
- Support market intelligence gathering
- Develop core selling skills
- Experience on sales desk experience
- Learn how to apply pricing to a Customer's enquiry]
- Sample multiple selling experiences
Commercial apprentices will study for a Business Administration qualification (Level 2) in year 1, which will progress to either a Business Administration level 3 or Customer Service level 2 qualification in year 2
Candidates who have, or are expected to achieve, 5 GCSE or equivalent (including English, Maths and Science) at Grades A* - C or level 4-9, can apply.
We also look for people with the qualities that align to our Tata values of Unity, Responsibility, Integrity, Understanding and Excellence.
We want people who:
- have strong communication and listening skills
- are enthusiastic and keen to learn
- can work in a team
- are reliable with good timekeeping skills
- can demonstrate leadership abilities
- work in an organised and logical manner
- able to problem solve
- experience of providing customer service
- have good attention to detail
- can demonstrate numerical and literacy skills to KS2 level
In order to be considered for this position, you must be able to provide during the selection process evidence of the qualifications specified.
Tata Steel UK offers their employees significant benefits packages.
For this role, you will benefit from:
- A market competitive salary
- Quarterly Bonus Scheme – subject to business performance
- One of the UK’s leading defined contribution pension schemes (10% employer contribution / 6% employee contribution)
- Annual Pay Review
- Employee discount scheme for companies including Vodafone, Nissan, Jaguar Land Rover and also various local services
You may be also interested to know that we have an extensive list of lifestyle benefits including, free onsite parking at all of our sites, an employee assistance programme as well as discounts with local and national retailers and services.
About Tata Steel
Tata Steel is one of the world’s top 10 steel producers. The combined group has an annual aggregate crude steel capacity of more than 33 million tonnes with approximately 80,000 employees across four continents. We’re part of the Tata Group, one of the largest, most diverse conglomerates in the world with businesses in the UK including Tata Steel, Jaguar Land Rover and Tetley Tea.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.