Automation Engineering Apprenticeship
Learn As You Earn – Life changing careers with Amazon Apprenticeships
A qualification and a career at the same time? That’s a bit like having your cake and eating it, right? But it really doesn’t have to be one or the other. Learning and earning within an apprenticeship means you get both – a qualification and a career.
Amazon apprenticeship schemes suit candidates with different backgrounds, qualifications and career aspirations; people who are excited to learn and want to start a career now – or possibly retrain in a new direction.
To be successful you will need to be committed to your own development and be prepared to make the most of the opportunities, hands on experience and qualifications given to you.
After graduating from your apprenticeship, you will be qualified to apply for a permanent role within our team. Different programs are available throughout the UK, across our operations and corporate offices.
Automation engineering apprenticeship
Amazon is the perfect place to start your career in automation engineering maintenance. As one of the world’s largest retail companies, we have an unrivalled range of equipment, technologies and facilities, so there are a huge variety of projects you can work on during the program.
You will build your skills over a 48 month period - starting in September - that will include:
- Classroom and workshop based training hosted offsite,
- Amazon’s on-the-job training program, delivered by our specialist teams,
- Mentoring from our automation engineers.
Alongside extensive development of your technical skills, you will also grow your abilities in crucial complementary areas like organization, prioritization, data analysis and problem solving techniques, teamwork, communication, and presentation skills.
Year 1 is full time residential (classroom training) at one of our providers’ facilities. As a result, you may be required to travel to the accommodation on a Sunday and to work away from home until Friday each week during term time (costs will be supported by Amazon) this is combined with short periods working at one of our Fulfilment Centres. This will give you a thorough and detailed insight into the work of the RME team as well as the basic skills necessary before working on our equipment.
Years 2 and 3 will be made of block release training at one of our providers’ facilities - to study for an HNC/D in controls engineering - and on-the-job training in a Fulfilment Centre amongst our team of technicians and engineers.
Year 4 you will complete a substantial work based project and attend Salford University on block release to achieve your Bachelors Degree in Controls and Automation Engineering.
Please note that the training described above is subject to COVID restrictions and study from home may be required.
Not only will you receive invaluable learning, development and professional experience, you will also gain a number of externally recognized qualifications and your bachelor’s degree.
You will graduate into an Automation Engineer position on completion of the program where we will continue your development, allowing you to grow with the business.
For the apprenticeship program we prioritize applicants eligible to government funding for their apprenticeship and for this you need to:
- Have lived in the UK or in the European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 years,
- Be a resident of the UK for the entire duration of the program,
- If you already have a higher degree, or are studying towards a higher degree, in the same field or a related one, you will not be eligible to this apprenticeship.
- Not be registered to study on a UK government funded course ending August 2020 or later.
- You will be 18 years old or older before entering an Amazon building (Summer 2021),
- 2 A levels (or equivalent) at C/4 or above in either Mathematics, IT, Physics or an Engineering related subject,
- OR have completed a BTEC level 3 engineering qualification of 180 credits which must include further mathematics,
- OR have a maintenance or Engineering HNC/D qualification - ideally with a PLC, automation, electronics or electrical bias,
If you have received educational qualifications outside of the UK then we will require a Statement of Comparability to confirm your eligibility for the scheme. Please ensure you obtain one during the application process, through UK NARIC: https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/
- You have a deep interest in automation engineering and strong willingness to learn,
- You have a desire to learn practical workshop / tool usage skills,
- You are able to read, understand and communicate in English, interact and engage comfortably with people at all levels of the business,
- You can follow a list of guidelines and instructions (verbal or written) to deliver results and meet deadlines,
- You have a hands-on attitude, flexible, adaptable and proactive,
- You aim to attain impeccable customer service, great customer facing skills,
- You seek and respond well to feedback,
- Experience (or a willingness to learn and practice) working to appropriate health & safety standards and regulations.
- You have flexibility in working hours and shift patterns to provide cover for operational requirements.
These will be a plus for your career at Amazon but are not necessary to enter the program.
- You are able to operate in a complex and fast paced environment,
All our apprenticeships are paid. Compensation may vary by program and location, but is always competitive.
Your recruitment process will start with your online application (providing your CV as well as answering questions about the above basic qualifications) and will then take you onto online testing and video interviewing on a platform called Hirevue.
As a last step, we will invite suitable candidates to an assessment center where they will visit the fulfillment center, participate in a group exercise, carry out a practical exercise (if on-site only) and get a chance to present their profile, motivation and skills 1-on-1 during interviews.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your enthusiasm to discover, invent, simplify and build.
When Amazon.com launched in 1995, it was with the mission “to be Earth’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavors to offer its customers the lowest possible prices.” This goal continues today, but Amazon’s customers are worldwide now, and have grown to include millions of Consumers, Sellers, Content Creators, and Developers & Enterprises. Each of these groups has different needs, and we always work to meet those needs, innovating new solutions to make things easier, faster, better, and more cost-effective.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.