Data Scientist Degree Apprenticeship at AstraZenecaTop Employer
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Connect with AstraZeneca
Data Scientist Degree Apprenticeship
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person!
Where you start with us doesn't determine the course of your career. So many of our people develop themselves beyond their wildest imaginations, both in terms of their roles and the countries they've worked in.
Our Degree Level Apprenticeship Programme in Pharmaceutical Technology and Development (PT&D) offers an outstanding opportunity to study for a fully funded BSc (Hons) Degree in Data Science as part of the Data Scientist Integrated Degree Apprenticeship Standard.
In PT&D, we are the bridge between forward-thinking science and innovative medicines that help millions of people. We work across the entire value chain, designing and delivering active ingredients, formulations and devices required to provide new medicines; from supplies used in clinical trials, to developing the technology to ensure drugs can be scaled-up for commercial manufacture.
If you want a career that makes the most of your interest in maths, coding and science, a Data Scientist apprenticeship could be for you! Data Science is a broad and fast-moving field spanning maths and statistics, software engineering and communications. Data Scientists blend experience and knowledge from a wide range of fields and organisations, and continuously seek to expand their range of technical skills.
As a Data Scientist apprentice, you will be part of one of our PT&D Teams where you will play a key role in organising, studying and drawing insights and recommendations from our data. Within PT&D our data analysis competencies are quite diverse and can apply to a wide range of settings including analytical science, formulation science and engineering.
What training and development will you receive?
- Working on a variety of data analysis competencies and building your scientific knowledge, on a tailored development programme
- Learning how to prioritise and manage multiple projects, objectives and deadlines with high attention to detail
- Learning new data skills and concepts
- Working across a variety of projects, providing technical data solutions to a range of issues
- Learning about and using a range of data analytics tools to explore and model data from different scientific instruments and processes, collecting managing, cleansing, abstracting and aggregating data
- Conducting a range of analytical studies on that data
- Developing a good understanding of data structures and database systems
- Automating laborious manual data processing tasks through coding
- Maximising insight and learning from complex data using Artificial Intelligence and machine learning
- Learn effective techniques for data visualisation & storytelling
Skills and capabilities needed
- Ability to work independently and maintain a high degree of self-motivation
- Team work skills
- Organisational skills
- Good written and oral communication skills
- High proficiency in English; both spoken and written
- Strong number orientation through abilities in Maths and Statistics
- Strong data visualisation skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Positive attitude and energy
- Passion for technology, Statistics and Science
- Analytical mindset
- Performance orientated
- Creative and not afraid to suggest ideas
We are looking for candidates with;
- Five GCSEs (or equivalent) grades 9-4 including Maths and English.
- To have achieved or predicted to achieve a minimum of 3 A levels CCC (96 UCAS points), with at least 1 STEM subject, Maths desirable
This will be a 4-year Fixed Term Contract opportunity based at Macclesfield offering £18,000 starting base salary + 11% benefits fund + bonus.
Should you require any reasonable adjustments or accommodations, please let us know on your application.
Successful candidates will be notified after the closing date and will be asked to attend a virtual Assessment day on 20th April 2021.
These positions are not open to those already educated to Bachelors degree level or above – for which we have specific Graduate Programmes, see our website for more details.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.
We are a global pharmaceutical company with a major UK presence. Our purpose is to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines. The best way we can help patients is to be science-led and share this passion with the scientific, healthcare and business communities of the UK.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.