DE&S/SDA Engineering Degree Apprenticeship at Defence Equipment & Support
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Connect with Defence Equipment & Support
DE&S/SDA Engineering Degree Apprenticeship
Join an integral part of the UK's defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces’ equipment, fighter jets, submarines, armoured vehicles and aircraft carriers, clothing, food and ammunition.
If you’ve got the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's armed forces, and help to deliver on operations at home and abroad, apply online now.
Starting September 2021, successful applicants will undertake a comprehensive framework of practical and academic training, including a full degree for individuals with the greatest potential. Apprentices will also complete several work-based training placements at various locations within the UK while completing relevant vocational qualifications in preparation for engineering roles within the MOD’s current and future programmes.
As a DE&S Aerospace Degree Engineering Apprentice, you'll be part of the team responsible for supporting the UK Services fixed and rotary wing aircraft. This includes combat aircraft such as the Typhoon and Lightning. Tanker and transport aircraft like the C130-J Hercules, A400M and Voyager. Training aircraft like the Hawk and Tucano and a whole range of helicopters including, Chinook, Apache, Wildcat and Lynx. You may also be involved in our programme of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles including Reaper, Watchkeeper and Desert Hawk.
As a DE&S Weapons, Ordnance, Munitions and Explosives (WOME) Degree Engineering Apprentice you'll be part of the team responsible for providing the UK’s Armed Forces with battle winning weapons, ordnance, munitions and explosives. This includes current and future Weapons Programmes, for example Meteor air-to-air missile, Brimstone, as well as small arms and weapons integration onto platforms.
As an SDA Nuclear Degree Engineering Apprentice, you'll be part of the SDA and the organisation responsible for supporting the Royal Navy with their fleet of submarines. During your apprenticeship you'll be involved in a whole range of programmes including Dreadnought and Vanguard Class Ballistic Missile Submarines as well as the Astute and Trafalgar Class of attack submarines.
You’ll participate in structured training and gather experience and knowledge through several work-based placements to learn and then apply engineering/scientific concepts and principles in a defence environment. You’ll be involved with the following:
- Participating in assigned educational training to develop own capabilities in a defence context.
- Delivering engineering products/services against agreed objectives to develop knowledge and experience and add value to the team and wider business.
- Building awareness and understanding of how the engineering function and wider business operates to assist in own development and career progression.
- Identifying opportunities to develop knowledge and experience to progress as an apprentice to Engineering Technician in the time specified.
- Providing support to colleagues in their specialist area and actively contribute to team meetings to help with the work of the team.
- Building and maintaining a network of internal business contacts and peers to gain knowledge and identify opportunities to learn and develop.
What you will be assessed against
Your CV must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- Candidates must have 5 GCSEs at grade C to A* including English, Maths and Science (preferably Physics).
- Candidates must already have or will achieve 3 A Levels including Maths minimum grade B, Science (preferably Physics) minimum grade C plus one other at minimum grade C (excluding general studies).
- Candidates must already have or will achieve a national diploma in Engineering equivalent to a minimum 104 UCAS Points.
- Candidates must already have or will achieve a minimum of 104 UCAS points in relevant STEM subjects.
It is also beneficial to your application if you can demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- You’re working towards Engineering Technician status.
- Relevant work experience, demonstrating project skills, including through internships or placements.
- You’re a student member of a Professional Engineering / Science Institute or equivalent body.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing.
- Working Together.
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Technical requirements, evaluation and acceptance.
Because of the classification of much of the work in the Defence Nuclear Degree Apprenticeship, these posts open to Sole UK Nationals only.
Successful Defence Nuclear Degree Apprenticeship applicants will also have to go through Developed Vetting (DV) Clearance.
Alongside training and development, you’ll receive the following great benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements so that your work fits in with your lifestyle.
- 25 days holiday a year, increasing one day a year to 30 days after five years.
- A competitive remuneration package and access to two Civil Service Pension options.
- Use of our on-site gym, restaurants and cafes.
- A huge variety of high street discounts and savings.
About Defence Equipment & Support
DE&S is a first-class and inspiring organisation, offering unique experiences supporting the UK’s armed forces and delivering some of the world’s most complex projects.
We employ over 11,500 people, and with a budget of over £10 billion, we buy, support and supply vital equipment and services that the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force need to operate effectively.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.