Craft Composites Level 3 Apprenticeship at Leonardo
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Connect with Leonardo
Craft Composites Level 3 Apprenticeship
Looking for a great start to your career in technology, earning and learning on a professionally accredited, award-winning scheme? We are looking to recruit the experts of the future on our nationally recognised, award-winning Apprenticeship Programme.
Our four-year Composites Craft Apprenticeship provides a wealth of learning and development opportunities. By the end of the scheme trainees will have completed a Level 3 Vocational (work related) qualification in Aerospace Manufacturing, as well as a BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering.
The Apprenticeship will start with an Induction into Leonardo, followed by a team building event at an offsite location (incorporating all Trainee starts). There will also be a Yeovil College Induction to ensure that apprenticeship requirements and expectations are fully established.
Working with world-leading specialists, you will increase your technical skills and capability, and develop your academic and practical understanding of the diverse world that is manufacturing & supply chain.
The structure of the Apprenticeship programme will be as follows:
- Year 1: Full time at Yeovil College with the possibility of working on-site in your placement at Leonardo Helicopters for 1 day a week post-Christmas.
- During years 2, 3 & 4, apprentices will follow a structured placement programme designed to ensure broad practical experience is gained in the required competences.
Each Apprentice on this route will need to complete an End Point Assessment as defined in the Apprenticeship Standard, this will take place in the final months of the program.
How this role fits in:
- Leonardo represents a unique opportunity for a career-minded person to have the best of both worlds; a challenging role with career development prospects and a quality of life that is hard to equal
- Apprentices follow a structured placement programme designed to ensure broad experience is gained in the required competences. Apprentices work with skilled individuals in each work placement to learn the required skills, knowledge and behaviour
Key Responsibility Areas:
- Composites Engineering Apprentices will work towards becoming a 'skilled' Composites Fitter on completion of their apprenticeship. Post-apprenticeship there are possibilities to progress through the grading structure and adopt additional responsibilities.
- The composites apprenticeship is based within the Dynamics Composites Centre (DCC), which is the area that manufactures blades for many of the Leonardo Helicopters aircraft, including military, civil and VVIP aircraft. The blades are manufactured from the raw material (pre-preg laminates, Nomex honeycomb, etc.).
Throughout the apprenticeship, apprentices will be placed in some or all of the following departmental areas, each placement having a variety of responsibilities. For example;
- Clean room: The manufacture of the majority of the blade products is completed in this area (including the blade spar, which is the main structural component of the blade)
- Repairs: The area that deals with the in-service products, the blades come in from working aircraft that require maintenance or repair (this can be from general wear and tear or from battle damage)
- Non Destructive Test (NDT): The testing of the blades through the use of non-destructive test methods is covered in this placement
- Blade Towers: The blades are attached to a test rig to check for weight, balance and centre of gravity
- X-Ray: The blades are put into an X-Ray machine to check for any foreign inclusions
- Machining: Parts of the blade are machined by CNC/conventional lathes
Note: There may be a specific route for a number of Composite apprentices to be specifically trained in the setting up and use of CNC/conventional lathes, who would complete the apprenticeship as a skilled Composite Machinist. Interested candidates are requested to apply to the Composite scheme but express an interest in the application form and interview.
Training to be provided
Engineering Technician Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard:
- Leonardo prides itself on recruiting the very best. Our companies run flourishing graduate and apprentice schemes for some 400 people nationwide
- We actively participate with other educational and engineering partners to help shape and develop the training and qualifications we offer to ensure that our future apprenticeship schemes continue to meet the expectation of our applicants and to match local and national standards
- Boasting a current retention rate that has seen 95% of apprentices stay with our companies at the end of their schemes, Leonardo understands that the future of its high-tech business rests in the hands of the next generation of engineers
- Practical hands-on engineering skills (though these will be developed)
- Interest in engineering and aircraft
- Team Work
- Time Management
- Attention to detail
- Please note that in order to apply for this opportunity you must be eligible for UK Security Clearance. Normally this is to the level of Security Check (typically known as “SC”) for our business
- 4 GCSEs at a minimum of a C/4 (including Maths, English and Science). These grades are non-negotiable
- We also welcome applications from individuals who have attained, or are on track to attain A Levels/relevant BTEC qualification
- Due to the course content, a higher tier C/4 in maths is recommended
- This course is an ‘Apprenticeship Standard’ and therefore contains new academic qualifications. This could mean that there may be some duplication in course content
- Excellent employment prospects once qualified
Things to consider
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Leonardo values people with a passion for technical analysis, judgement and problem-solving. We reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- Competitive starting salary
- 25 days holiday and ability to earn flexi-leave
- Pension scheme (Contributory)
- Cycle to Work initiative
- Employee Discount Scheme
Don’t delay – these roles attract high competition so apply now to avoid disappointment. When applying on HireVue please select App level 3 STEM.
Leonardo is a world-class advanced engineering company, committed to delivering winning, cost-effective solutions in the aerospace, defence and security sectors.
Balancing our global reach with sustained investment in our UK centres of excellence, we are focused on responding to the needs of Government and on the opportunities for exports.
We recruit and develop talented and skilled people and share learning and models of best practice across the group. Our UK growth has resulted from the skills, energy and dedication of our people.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.