Civil Engineering Degree Apprenticeship - Ballistics & Seismic at AWE
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Connect with AWE
Civil Engineering Degree Apprenticeship - Ballistics & Seismic
What if you could work on something that you cannot test, but cannot afford to fail? What if your job wasn’t your ordinary 9-5? What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear research weapons research and development. Contracted to the MOD, we have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. We also use our unique nuclear skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
On completion, a Civil Engineering Degree Apprentice will be able to use the knowledge, skills and behaviours developed to enable systems and equipment to operate safely, efficiently and in an environmentally sustainable way, meeting the requirements set out by AWE and those of the Professional Body Institutions. They will have a fundamental and core knowledge of engineering / science principles and practices and will be able to demonstrate discipline skills commensurate with their employed job role that typically will include design, plant performance enhancements, operational management, project management and maintenance of safety standards utilising analytical thinking to provide innovative solutions. They will also demonstrate good communication and team skills and the ability to communicate in a variety of forms to all levels within an organisation
As a Civil degree apprentice, you will complete the following:
- BEng/MEng in Civil Engineering
- Day release delivery of degree with rest of time on the job learning (flexible to employer requirements)
- Membership of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- Enrolment on the ICE Training scheme to attain IEng status
- Inquiry-led constructive learning and technology-based assessment
- Nuclear behavioural culture, safety and security
- Employer focused contextual content
As a Civil Engineering Degree Apprentice, you will learn the basics of construction practice, contract management, structural mechanics, hydraulics, geotechnics, highways, land surveying and CAD before applying that learning to assess existing structures, foundations and soils through lectures and practical projects.
You will then undertake focused professional engineering placements involving industrial areas such as explosive processing buildings, infrastructure, utilities and nuclear installations. Yow will gain an appreciation of the additional challenges and safety requirements of providing engineering services in such an environment throughout the engineering lifecycle (Design, Construction, Commissioning, Operations).
Following completion of your placements and subject to the business need and your career aspirations, your final role placement will be selected, and you will complete your training as a professional engineer in this area.
This role may appeal to you if you enjoy:
- Understanding how things work and improving them
- Building or making things
- Solving problems in different ways
- Interest in learning / improving practical applications
- Applying engineering principles into real life scenarios
Level 6 entry requirements:
- Must be age 18 or above as of 4th September 2021
- Typically grade C or above in at least five GCSE's including English, Math’s and a Science subject
- Typically, candidates will hold a minimum of 240 UCAS points or existing relevant Level 3 qualifications
- Good communication skills (i.e. technical speaking, active listening, professional writing, professional body language and technical presentation)
- Reliability with a high level of respect for confidentiality on work related and personal matters
- Ability to work autonomously and interact effectively within a wide, multi-disciplinary project team
- Ability to understand the impact of work on others, especially where related to diversity and equality
- Good time management skills (i.e. planning and completing work to schedule)
- A supportive attitude to change and ability to respond positively to change management processes
- Ownership for personal development
- Open attitude towards receiving feedback
- Committed to health & safety (i.e. personal, workplace, radiological and nuclear)
- Effective at following rules, procedures and principles
- Enthusiasm for the nuclear industry
- PC literate
- Excellent team working skills
- Ability to concentrate for long periods
Duration of training: likely 8 years to professional qualification
We recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as our positions have been filled, we close our applications.
Successful candidates must be available to start on the Apprenticeship Programme in September 2021.
What we offer:
We offer our degree apprentices a starting salary of £13,500 as well as a market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight. Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field whilst helping us to continue to deliver national nuclear security, threat reduction and counter-terrorism solutions.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to work in designated areas – if applicable.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country’s nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.