Infrastructure Technician Apprenticeship
What if you could work on something that you cannot test, but cannot afford to fail? What if your job wasn’t your ordinary 9-5? What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear research weapons research and development. Contracted to the MOD, we have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. We also use our unique nuclear skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
An Infrastructure Technician provides support to internal and external customers, helping them to be productive when using technology to do their own jobs, by using tools to problem solve and trouble shoot non routine problems. The Infrastructure Technician configures and maintains the systems which provide the infrastructure services to our customers when they need it, rectifying issues to ensure the organisations productivity.
The desired skills and behaviours of level 3 Infrastructure Technician apprentices include:
- Good communication skills (i.e. technical speaking, active listening, professional writing, professional body language and technical presentation)
- Reliability with a high level of respect for confidentiality on work related and personal matters
- Good time management and organisational skills (i.e. planning and completing work to schedule)
- Open attitude towards receiving feedback
- Logical and creative thinking skills
- Ability to work independently and to take responsibility
- Committed to health & safety (i.e. personal, workplace, radiological and nuclear)
- Effective at following rules, procedures and principles
- Ability to maintain a productive, professional and secure working environment
- PC literate
- Ability to work with a range of stakeholders (both internal and external)
- Preferably GCSE in Maths and English at Grade 4 or above (or equivalent)
Duration of training: 2 Years
We recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as our positions have been filled, we close our applications.
Successful candidates must be available to start on the Apprenticeship Programme in September 2021.
What we offer:
We offer our apprentices a starting salary of £11,000 as well as a market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight. Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field whilst helping us to continue to deliver national nuclear security, threat reduction and counter-terrorism solutions.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to work in designated areas – if applicable
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country’s nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.