Land Based Service Engineer Level 3 Apprenticeship
Duties will include:
- How to comply with the Health & Safety at Work Act, Manual Handling regulations, the abrasive wheel regulations and the legislation relevant to the role of Service Engineer
- The company staff handbook, the chain of command, workplace procedures e.g. Daily time sheets, job cards, parts requisitions processes, use of pre-delivery procedures and maintenance schedules
- How to record information, maintain accurate customer service records and communicate with customers and colleagues using verbal and handwritten methods whilst observing customer care practices
- Workshop practices, the identification and application of tools and equipment used in service and maintenance operations. This will typically include knowledge of the care and storage of tools and equipment
- Methods of thermally and chemically joining metals and components. This knowledge will be used in the context of performing service and maintenance operations to machinery and equipment
- The operating principles of machinery, plant and equipment within the chosen land-based service engineering sector
- Underpinning service, maintenance and repair principles and practices, typically including machinery and component conformity procedures, tolerances, pre-load, end float, backlash, component sealing, system bleeding, alignment, balance, calibration, removal of corroded components etc.
- How to access and interpret technical data relating to machinery and equipment service and maintenance operations
- How to handover machinery, plant and equipment to the control and use of others in the workplace
- Emergency First Aid
- Select and apply appropriate tools and equipment, demonstrate dexterity, resourcefulness, and a professional approach to service engineering practice
- Maintain and conduct basic repairs and maintenance activities on power units, and power trains, mechanical equipment, plant and machinery and their associated systems and components either under supervision or following procedures and service schedules prepared by the manufacturer or employer
- Thermally and chemically join metals and materials
- Access and interpret technical data relating to service and maintenance operations in accordance with the manufacturer’s documentation
- Communicate with customers and colleagues expressing technical information in clear concise terms whilst demonstrating customer care principles
- Work efficiently both under supervision, individually and as a team member
- Demonstrate a logical, safe and systematic approach to work practices
- Carry out operational tests on low technology plant, equipment and machinery
- Communicate using a range of methods. This will include delivering oral and written reports to colleagues and customers regarding the work carried out on equipment
Training to be provided
Land-based service engineering technician standard.
Qualification: Block Release Suffolk Rural Campus.
Training for all job specific tasks will be given. In addition the apprentice will have the support and guidance of a qualified assessor from the college, who will make on-site visits every 6-8 weeks.
- An interest in engineering
- Good maths and English
- Communication and problem solving
An enthusiasm towards beginning a career in this industry.
Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability. Ideally applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs including English and maths at grades 9- 4 for a Level 3 Apprenticeship and 9-3 for a Level 2.
Proof of qualifications will be required before you can be accepted onto the apprenticeship.
PLEASE NOTE: All applicants regardless of entry requirements will be emailed an Initial Assessment to complete as part of the recruitment procedure. This is an online assessment in English and maths and can be completed at your preferred location remotely. Currently, due to COVID19 we are not offering Initial Assessment appointments at either campus. Those without the stated entry requirements or awaiting GCSE/GCSE retake grades, will be offered further advice and guidance to support their application if required.
For the right candidate who proves to be hardworking, reliable with the diligence to successfully complete their apprenticeship the long term prospects of a full time role are excellent.
Things to consider
Please bare in mind the physical nature of this role.
You will be on your feet for most of the day.
About Target Plant and Sales Ltd
Target Plant has been offering Plant Hire, Tool Hire & Sales to both Trade & DIY customers for 35 years. We offer the latest and most innovative equipment enabling us to meet the ever changing needs of our customers. Whether you are looking to hire or buy equipment our knowledgeable team will ensure that you are supplied the correct equipment for your job. Over the years we have expanded our hire fleet considerably, specialising in Digger, Dumper & Access Platform hire. We offer a same day delivery service via our own new fleet of HGV vehicles or you can chose to collect direct from our Branches.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.