Field Service Engineer - Instrumentation (Water) Level 3 Apprenticeship - Ellesmere Port at United Utilities
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Field Service Engineer - Instrumentation (Water) Level 3 Apprenticeship - Ellesmere Port
Be part of the flow of life:
At United Utilities we're proud to be essential every day, and our people are essential too. We're looking for the next generation of talent to join our exciting business.
A bit more about the role:
As an instrumentation field service engineer, you'll learn how to install, repair and maintain our process instrumentation, control and automation systems. Therefore ensuring our wastewater assets are available and are working correctly.
During your four year apprenticeship you'll have the chance to:
- Develop valuable engineering skills as you learn how to install, repair and maintain our process instrumentation, control and automation systems
- You will find yourself working on many different types of systems from simple level sensors to complex analytical instruments measuring critical parameters on our sites
- Learn and gain an understanding of how we provide clean water and take away wastewater for our customers. This can be a bit of a messy job dealing with the things our customers flush down the loo so you'll need to be prepared to get your hands dirty
- Successful apprentices will achieve a Utilities Engineering Technician Standard which is endorsed by the Institute for Apprenticeships
- You'll have a dedicated mentor and manager who'll be on hand to support you every step of the way. All that we ask from you is that you're willing to learn, know how to work as part of a team and can manage your time and workload to get things done.
What makes us different?
- Secure your future – every apprentice is guaranteed a permanent position at the end of their scheme*
- Recognised apprenticeship standard which is endorsed by the Institute for Apprenticeships
- It's a springboard to your career – we provide you with structured training, a dedicated mentor and quality placements to help you shape your career
During your first year, you'll spend 8 months working from Bolton Technical Training Centre during the working week (Monday – Friday). If you're from outside of the area, accommodation will be provided by United Utilities during this period, excluding weekends.
Once you've completed your apprenticeship you'll be asked to join part of a formal standby rota, which may require you to do some out of hours work. Don't worry your training will prepare you for this, but we do advise that you apply for a vacancy that's relatively easy for you to get to, as we would need you to travel to the site easily.
*As long as you meet all necessary standards and behaviour criteria throughout the programme.
The assessment centre for this role will take place in October 2020.
We need fantastic people to enable us to deliver a great service to the public. We are committed to reaching and recruiting from every community and then supporting employees to achieve their full potential ensuring they feel valued and included, regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, sexual orientation or social background.
If you are offered a job with us, a number of pre-employment checks need to be carried out before your appointment can be confirmed. Any offer of employment with United Utilities will be subject to a satisfactory checking report from the Disclosure Scotland / the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Training to be provided
You will work towards a Level 3 Utilities Engineering Technician - Instrumentation Technician apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- Level 2 Functional Skills in maths and English (if required)
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)
- Skills, knowledge and behaviours relevant to the industry, and job role
Training takes place at our Bolton Technical Training Centre for the first 8 months. Further training is delivered and assessed on the job which incorporates vocational and academic elements, throughout the duration of the programme.
- How to work as part of a dedicated team focused on ensuring our plants continue to operate at maximum efficiency
- How to work with a wide range of equipment, be able to identify any faults and carry out routine maintenance, following the company's rigorous health and safety standards
- About scheduled maintenance activity and how to organise your workload effectively
- Good communication skills
- Good practical skills
- Good organisational skills
- Customer focused
- Team player
- Attention to detail
- Achieve the qualifications needed to really succeed in your role
- Someone who's keen to gain practical experience
You'll need to have 5 GCSEs at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent), which must include maths, English Language and a science or technology subject.
Upon completion of your apprenticeship and meeting the behaviours required, you will progress into a permanent post that matches with the role you have trained for. Further prospects within the business depends on you, and your desire to succeed. Annual appraisals are a key driver to spot talent, which enables development opportunities and career mapping.
About United Utilities
At United Utilities we’re proud to be essential every day, and our people are essential too. United Utilities is a water and wastewater company, based in the North West of England. If you’ve ever made a brew or been to the loo, then we’ve probably played a part in that. We serve seven million customers across the North West, which means we cover a lot of ground. So, whether you love the great outdoors or the hustle and bustle of city life, you’re bound to find something that’s perfect for you.
Come and join us on our apprenticeship scheme and you’ll be given the training and development to take that first step onto the career ladder, supported by the United Utilities family. Our apprentice schemes have won awards too, so you can be sure you’re starting off in the best hands for a great career. We have been named in the top 100 apprenticeship employers 2018 and scooped the Regional Macro employer of the year award at the National Apprenticeship Awards 2017. Join us and be part of the flow of life.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.