Ammunition Technician Level 4 Apprenticeship
As an Ammunition Technician, you’ll learn to inspect, repair, store and destroy everything from rifle ammunition to guided weapons. You will work with Army Units and UK security services, deploying bomb disposal robots.
Progression to a Bomb Disposal Operator (with extra pay) is also possible. You’ll be given responsibility early in your career as you’ll become a Lance Corporal immediately after completing your training and your career could involve work in fields such as Weapons Technical Intelligence, Ammunition Stockpile Management and Improvised Explosives Device Disposal.
Ammunition Technicians are highly sought after by the commercial energetics industry and by organisations running training in explosives and bomb disposal.
- Be the Army’s expert in explosives engineering by completing the world's leading ammunition training programme.
- Work alongside every aspect of the military - including Airborne and Commando Forces.
- You could be deployed worldwide– wherever the British Army has a presence.
- Earn your Category B and C+E Driving Licences, plus specialist vehicle driving and bomb disposal qualifications.
- Complete a Level 4 Apprenticeship in Ordnance Munitions and Explosives and join the Institute of Explosives Engineers.
Training for the role
You'll start with your initial military training which will teach you how to be a soldier - this will cover everything from fieldcraft to handling a rifle. If you join as a Junior Soldier (under 17 years 5 months), you’ll do a 23-week basic military training course at Harrogate. If you join as a Regular Soldier (over 17 years 1 month), you’ll do the regular 14-week adult basic training.
Next, you will undertake your 15-week Combat Logistician course at the Defence School of Transport in Leconfield. During this, you will earn your Category C+E Driving Licence and study general service driver modules. This training also gives you the opportunity to gain a broader knowledge on the Royal Logistic Corps functions and roles. After this, you will work alongside Ammunition Technicians who will mentor you until your Specialist Trade Training begins.
You will then complete your 29-week Class 2 Ammunition Technician course which is split between the Defence Academy in Shrivenham and the Defence EOD Munitions and Search Training Regiment in Kineton. You’ll learn how to inspect, test, move, store and destroy every type of ammunition and explosive.
Age: 16 years 6 months - 35 years 6 months
Qualifications: 5 GCSEs Grades A-C/9-4 which must include Maths, English Language and either Physics, Science, or Integrated Science.
- Mid Thigh Pull 46kg
- Medicine Ball Throw 2.9m
- 2km run 11m 15s (11m 30s for Junior Entry)
Qualifications you could get after training
- Driving Licences: Category B and C+E.
- Level 4 Apprenticeship in Ordnance Munitions & Explosives.
- The opportunity to study for an MSc in Explosives Ordnance Engineering (on a part-time basis).
- A proven track record in the field that can gain the title of Engineering Technician (Eng Tech), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng).
Pay and Benefits
Earn £15,985 during training.
When your initial training is finished and you join your unit as a Lance Corporal, your pay will rise to £27,948.
You can earn extra pay once you reach the rank of Sergeant and you are qualified to conduct Bomb Disposal duties.
About The Army
The British Army is one of the UK’s largest apprenticeship employer providers, giving you the opportunity to earn industry-recognised apprenticeships ranging across a variety of trades and skills. Completing an apprenticeship will help you progress with your career.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.