Packaging Development Degree Apprenticeship at Premier Foods
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Connect with Premier Foods
Packaging Development Degree Apprenticeship
Our Ashford site, also known as the home of Batchelors’ Cup-a-Soup and Paxo, is recruiting a Packaging Development Apprentice to join our Innovation Team.
Be part of the Premier Foods Innovation Team at the Ashford site playing a key part in the launch of our branded products like Batchelor’s, Bisto and Paxo. Be part of a team in charge of developing and launching new products through our existing factory manufacturing parameters.
In addition to this you will have the opportunity to study towards a BSc degree in Packaging Technology. This work-based 4-year programme is designed to provide the essential knowledge, understanding, skills and experience required to operate effectively and successfully in a senior packaging role.
You will gain this qualification – a BSc (Hons) Packaging Design and Technology - as you work at Premier Foods, studying via a combination of block release weeks at Sheffield Hallam University with on-the-job work experience.
What you’ll be doing:
- Manage the implementation of new packaging specifications and processes at site, which are specifically linked to New Product Development activities, although not exclusively.
- Within the project team support / manage (dependent on project size / complexity) the packaging development process including trials (including objectives, outputs / success criteria etc.), operations briefing, due diligence validation, process compliance, distributions and retailer handling trials.
- Investigate & communicate new technology developments that could support delivery of innovation and value improvements.
- To develop close working relations with local Quality Assurance/Manufacturing Site Technical support functions, and build levels of packaging technical knowledge within these teams, through hands-on training and use of external training through suppliers etc.
- Maintain and update the packaging specification system and confirm supplier approvals.
- Create and maintain database of pallet patterns for all products
- Build understanding of packaging materials interactions with diversity of packaging machines and ensure that the packaging materials key performance criteria are part of the specifications. Harness this data to assess opportunities for further improvements of machine efficiencies.
- Ensure all cutter guides are correct and include all important information.
- Ensure technical database (MNotes) contain correct information and update accordingly.
- Collate and communicate packaging waste data related to specification implementation / changes.
- Ensure that all U.K. and International legal requirements relating to packaging are strictly adhered to, and that awareness of amendments / new requirements are maintained and communicated within relevant functions e.g. Packaging R&D, Central QA etc.
- Sign-off of all new artwork against packaging responsibilities.
- Meetings – attend and participate in face-to-face and remote meetings, related to project work.
- Assist in the investigation on internal non-conformances (Quality Investigation Reports - QIRs) relating to packaging materials.
- Control held packaging items on held stock report.
- Support capital projects relating to packing lines by collecting/preparing/dispatching samples.
- Build contacts with key packaging suppliers through involvement with supplier visits to Ashford and visits to suppliers.
- Support packaging trial activity within the factory.
- Understand and document critical packaging parameters by production line (material testing).
- Build and maintain a packaging reference library (by profile - not artwork).
- Support the Innovation/ procurement activity.
- Evaluate CFI's (Championing Fresh Ideas) relating to packaging.
What we need from you:
- 3 A-Levels or equivalent (preference for A-Levels in Science, Maths, Design and Technology subjects)
- GCSE Grade C or above (or equivalent) in English and Maths
- Interest in Innovation and packaging and a desire to commence a career in this field/industry
- Innovative mindset with a desire to improve processes
- Good communicator
- Able to work on their own or as part of a team
- High level of IT literacy (good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel)
- Able to develop and build relationships with key internal and external customers
- High standard of mathematical skills · Good attention to detail & problem-solving skills · Follows logical and disciplined thought processes
- The role will include some travel to other sites (to be agreed) as part of understanding working practices within the company
- Be committed to complete the apprenticeship programme
What we offer you in return:
- Fully funded apprenticeship programme
- Starting salary of £19,000 per year (annual incremental salary reviews subject to academic achievement)
- In-work mentorship to support academic achievements
- Access to the Hamper – discounts scheme across a variety of nationwide retailers and entertainment; hospitality and days out
- A contributory pension scheme with the Employer contribution up to 7.5%
- Cycle to work scheme
- Access to our products at a discounted rate via the Company shop
- On-site free parking and on-site canteen
Our much-loved brands include Mr Kipling, Cadbury, Bisto, Batchelors, Ambrosia, Sharwood’s, Oxo, Loyd Grossman, Homepride, Paul Hollywood and McDougall’s, with some supported by our strategic partnerships with Mondelez and Nissin.
About Premier Foods
Premier Foods is one of Britain’s biggest listed food companies, employing over 4,000 colleagues at 15 manufacturing sites and offices up and down the country.
Many of our brands have been part of UK life for more than a century and you’ll find them in 94% of British households.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.