Dental Nursing Level 3 Apprenticeship
This dental practice is looking to recruit an apprentice dental nurse ready to start college at Colchester Institute. Commencement of work can be negotiated individually depending on personal circumstances and commitments, such as GCSE or A-Level examinations.
The position would involve working within a dental practice team and assisting the dentist with their duties whilst treating patients.
You will be given the training and supervision to undertake your practical duties such as:
- Cross infection control and decontamination
- Chair side clinical treatments supporting the dentist
- Processing of x-rays
- Accurate record keeping in line with the GDPR
Your main duties will be assisting the dentist with preparing instruments and equipment, mixing different materials as required and providing suction support. You will need to be supportive to both your patient and dentist at all times. On a daily basis you will be required to check that your day lists are accurate and that all patients’ records are available and up to date, laboratory work will need to be booked in and out, your dental surgery will need to be stocked up to ensure sufficient materials and supplies available for the day’s treatment.
Possible rotation in the practice may involve working in central decontamination and reception duties. Reception duties may involve answering the telephone, making appointments and taking patient payments
Training to be provided
- All delivered within the workplace via online training and at Colchester Institute Campus
- Candidates will undertake the Dental Nurse Level 3 apprenticeship standard
- You will need to be able to work on your own initiative and to be accurate at all times
- Good manual dexterity
- Trustworthy and able to work within a team
- You will require good communication skills, be able to show empathy with patients, as well as working well within a team
- You must have excellent time keeping skills and a flexible approach to working
- Maintaining patient confidentiality in line with data protection
- 5 GCSE’s grade A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) including English and maths, science is also preferred to allow for career progression.
- All candidates will be required to complete Colchester Institute's mandatory initial assessment process before being put forward to the company. This will consist of online assessments and interview with the relevant department.
- Upon successful completion of the Apprenticeship you will gain a Licence to Practice Qualification that will allow you to register with the General Dental Council and you apply for registered/qualified positions
- There may be opportunities for you to study further and apply for other positions within the Dental Industry
Things to consider
- Hours of work may vary and so a flexible approach to working is required
- The successful applicant will be required to undertake a DBS check and complete a course Hepatitis B vaccinations
- During the course all students are observed regularly in the workplace undertaking clinical duties and ensuring they are following safe working practice
- To achieve the City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Dental Nursing students will need to pass all 4 online modular exams and complete an online e-portfolio of practical competence
- Once you have completed your Diploma you will then pass through the Gateway for final End Point Assessment. This will involve completing a clinical workplace observation with an independent assessor from City and Guilds followed by a 45 minute professional discussion
- All applicants will be expected to attend for an initial interview and assessments at Colchester Institute before being represented to the employer.
- Please be advised that the closing date for this role could be brought forward or extended if this vacancy receives a high number or low number of applicants and/or the company recruit before the closing date
About Christchurch Dental Practice
Small, busy, mixed dental practice including NHS & Private treatment provision.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.