Technician Scientist Level 5 Apprenticeship - Vertex
The Laboratory Scientist Apprenticeship will be embedded within our DMPK Department where we undertake research to discover therapies for serious diseases. The Apprentice will be closely supervised and trained to initially undertake routine scientific tasks, including in vitro and physical chemistry assays. With time and experience the apprentice will move on to undertake more complex scientific experiments.
The apprentice will need a character that is reliable and diligent, taking responsibility for the quality and accuracy of the work undertaken.
In particular, this role will involve working within the current in vitro DMPK team who use various in vitro and in vivo assays to understand the absorption, distribution, metabolism and excretion of potential drugs within the discovery pipeline.
The apprentice will be imbedded within a wider organisation that is dedicated to drug discovery and benefit from the passion and knowledge of your colleagues. Regular discussions talk and presentations from our own scientists and those from outside of the organisation will allow you to learn about and understand the drug discovery process and how medicines work.
Understanding and working to strict safety and ethical guidelines is paramount to this role. The apprentice will be expected to work both individually and as part of a laboratory team. With appropriate time, training and experience, they will be able to work with minimum supervision, taking responsibility for the quality, accuracy and recording of the work that is undertaken. They will be proactive in finding solutions to problems and helping identify ways to improve processes.
At the end of the Apprenticeship, the Apprentice will be able to:
- Prepare for and perform laboratory tasks using the appropriate scientific techniques, procedures and methods relevant to the activities of the laboratory
- Apply knowledge of underlying scientific principles in laboratory-based experimentation and implement new processes according to the literature or input from colleagues
- Demonstrate and explain the principles of laboratory techniques and scientific experimentation to contribute to the development of scientific technical projects
- Develop and apply a theoretical knowledge of the advanced science and technology required to progress in the job role and relevant area of specialism
- Understand the business environment in which the company operates including personal role within the organisation, ethical practice and codes of conduct
- Work safely within a laboratory environment, maintaining excellent housekeeping whilst following appropriate safety, environment and risk management systems
- Promote and ensure the application of quality standards relevant to the workplace
- Work autonomously to analyse, interpret and evaluate scientific data and present the results of laboratory work and problem solving clearly and concisely in written and oral form
- Undertake continuous performance improvement within the scientific and technical environment
- Use creative thinking and problem solving to challenge assumptions, innovate, make new proposals and build on existing ideas
- Plan and prioritise tasks, review and evaluate progress against objectives and investigate alternative scenarios
- Communicate effectively using a full range of skills: speaking to a scientific and non-scientific audience, active listening, professional writing, professional body language, scientific presentation
- Demonstrate reliability, integrity and respect for confidentiality on work related and personal matters, including appropriate use of social media and information systems
- Interact effectively within a wide, multi-disciplinary project team
- Understand the impact of work on others
- Manage time effectively, being able to plan and complete work to schedule
- Able to handle change and respond to change management processes
- Take responsibility for personal development, demonstrating commitment to learning and self-improvement
Training to be provided
Work based and knowledge competencies to be delivered in line with the Technician Scientist Standard guidelines.
This will include:
- Functional skills
- Full recognised apprenticeship qualification
- On the job competency training
- Foundation Degree (FdSc)
- Good communication skills
- Eager to develop
- A genuine interest in what Vertex do
- Inquisitive mindset
- Attention to detail
- Passion for research
To be eligible for this position you will need:
- 5 GCSE’s (or equivalent) grade A*-C (4-9) including maths, English and Science
- A minimum of 80 UCAS points from a minimum of 2 A-level subjects including either Chemistry or Biology (or equivalent, e.g. BTEC) and an additional Science or maths
- Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship you will be considered for progressing on to the Level 6 Laboratory Scientist Apprenticeship to achieve a full Degree
Things to consider
Please consider our location and travel requirements and ensure you can get to site.
You will be entitled to company benefits including:
- 28 Days Holiday entitlement (+ Bank Holidays)
- Opt in pension scheme
- Student discount card (NUS)
- Employee assistance programme
- Dedicated mentor for the duration of your apprenticeship
About COGENT SSC LIMITED
Cogent Skills is the UK’s strategic body for skills in the science industries, led by sector employers. We work with them to develop, design and deploy skills solutions for the science industries.
All our products and services are designed with science industry employers, are underpinned by national standards and meet the unique requirements of the sector.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.Apply for this role
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!