Trainee Employment & Skills Co-ordinator Level 4 Apprenticeship
Our apprenticeship programme is a great opportunity to study towards a college or university qualification while putting everything you have learnt into action through on-the-job training.
Joining Skanska as a Trainee Employment & Skills Co-ordinator, you will report into the Head of People & Legacy and become a key part of our A428 highways civil engineering project team. You will assist with delivering our Employment, Education and Skills strategy and make a real difference to local communities by educating them on employment opportunities within the project and wider industry.
What you’ll learn to do:
- Promote STEM and relevant Construction Ambassador programmes through school engagement activities and development days
- Develop our Schools Engagement Plan working with local schools, colleges, and key external providers.
- Design, manage and promote opportunities for new entrants on the project. i.e work experience, summer and year interns, apprentices, trainees and graduates.
- Assist with leading and developing a Trainee, Apprentice and Graduate (TAG) Network group to allow young people to share experiences, develop skills and knowledge and make connections.
- Support the Head of People & Legacy to run Employment and Skills workshops for supply chain partners to promote apprenticeships, discuss skills shortages and issues and to share best practice and lessons learned across the industry.
- Identify and develop working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders including Joint Venture partners, Highways England, Supply Chain partners, CITB, Job Centre Plus, Training providers, Colleges, Universities, Local authorities, Schools Careers Brokers, The Skills Service, Form The Future; and other stakeholders.
- Produce reports and papers as required, to help shape the delivery of the Employment and Skills Strategy and targets.
What we offer:
- Through day release to West Herts College, Skanska will provide support and funding to help you achieve an Employability Practitioner Level 4 qualification.
- Full on job training and development will be provided and you will receive ongoing support and guidance in your career development
- A competitive salary and benefits
- When you successfully complete the programme you’ll be eligible to apply for associate membership of the Institute of Employability Professionals
Who you are:
- For us to successfully you enrol you on a Level 4 apprenticeship course, you will hold a standard set of A-Levels, BTEC National Diploma Level 3 qualification or equivalent.
- Proactive, self-starter who is keen to develop and progress
- Confident with good communication skills – verbal and written
- Able to build positive relationships
- Have keen interest to work within Construction / Highways environment
- You will need a full, clean driving licence and your own transport as it is hard to access our site via public transport and you will also need to travel to visit local schools and colleges.
Start date: 7th September 2020
About the A428 project
The A428 between St Neots and Caxton Gibbet is the only stretch of single carriageway between the M1 near Milton Keynes and Cambridge. It is an important link between the M1 and the M11, connecting the communities of Bedford, St Neots, Cambridge and Cambourne. Around 22,000 vehicles travel between Cambridge Road and Caxton Gibbet every day. With considerable local housing and job growth expected, this number is likely to grow to 27,000 vehicles by 2038.
People that use the A428 regularly experience congestion and delays, especially in rush hour. The situation is made worse by the lack of alternative routes.
The purpose of the scheme is to cut the average commute between Black Cat and Caxton Gibbet junctions by more than a third, saving up to 10 minutes on every trip.
Skanska is one the UK’s top construction and development companies. We are building, upgrading and maintaining the country’s infrastructure for future generations. Drawing on our Scandinavian heritage, we are green, innovative and progressive. We bring together people and technology, as part of our objective to make construction a safer and more collaborative industry.
We believe in our Purpose, we build for a better society. Through our Values of care for life, commit to customers, be better – together and act ethically and transparently you will enable us to deliver our purpose.
At Skanska, we thrive through embracing differences, whether they be social backgrounds, ethnicity, disability, gender, age, religion, sexuality and any other protected characteristic – we know that diversity opens a rich potential for new ways of thinking, helping us to build successful and winning teams. We call it Naturally Skanska.
We would like you to perform at your best at every stage of our recruitment process. Please contact us if you require any adjustments that would support you throughout your application.
To achieve your Level 4 qualification while gaining invaluable ‘hands-on’ experience, apply below and help us build for a better society.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.Apply for this role
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!