Data Science Degree Apprenticeship
Start Date: September 2020
- Do you love using mathematics to solve problems?
- Do you enjoy or have an interest in coding and software programming?
- Are you fascinated about machine learning and artificial intelligence?
- Do you want to learn and earn at the same time and have an amazing experience at the BBC and with Glasgow University?
Based in Glasgow with BBC Design and Engineering teams, you'll get to work at the heart of Data Science at the BBC, all while studying for a degree apprenticeship Glasgow University.
You will complete both off-the-job and on-the-job training. You'll study for a bachelor's degree (Hons) with tailored modules such as:
- The use of Data Science and Engineering within the organisation to serve our audiences and story tellers.
- Data Systems Development, modelling and Integration.
- Programming and building/testing of business intelligence systems
- Statistical and mathematical models and methods.
- Structure and operation of high velocity data systems and develop understanding of operating systems, peripherals and networking hardware and software infrastructure.
- Research and Development of prototype Data Solutions for the business and our audiences.
- rough a series of university taught modules and industrial experience we will prepare you as the new community of Data Scientists and Engineers to help build and support the future BBC organisation.
You will be someone who naturally wants to be a hands-on Data Scientist and will feel comfortable developing over the course of the scheme to work with mathematics, computer software and associated systems.
We're not looking for you to come as a ready-made engineer/data scientist – just want you to have an ambition and determination to succeed.
Throughout the application process we'll be asking for evidence that shows your passion and ability for technology and mathematics. You need to be a good communicator and have the ability to develop to be effective in the working environment with technical or non-technical
Candidates with Scottish qualifications are required to have a minimum of BBBB including Mathematics and English, all of which must have been achieved in the first sitting. (Desirable AAAA including Mathematics)
Candidates with qualifications from outside Scotland must have a minimum AAB which must include Mathematics, English and a science A-Level and a minimum GCSE or Standard Grades qualifications in maths and English at A-C or equivalent.
You will have interest and confidence to develop your working knowledge and skills in software programming, algebra, statistics, logarithms and recurrence equations. These are some of the mathematical techniques required for Data Science.
About the BBC
Be part of something special. Join the BBC.
The BBC is the world’s leading public service broadcaster. Funded primarily through the television licence fee, the BBC provides audiences in the UK with high quality and distinctive services across television, radio and online. In the UK the BBC provides 10 network television services, 10 network radio services, 46 radio services in the nations and regions of the UK, plus an extensive online presence. The BBC also delivers impartial news and information to audiences around the globe through the World Service.
We’re looking for people to help us deliver award-winning content. The BBC offers work experience, degree schemes and apprenticeships in business, journalism, production and technology.
We’re different from other broadcasters. Funded by the licence fee and guided by a unique set of principles and values. People know us and are passionate about what we do.
You’ll also be making things that are enjoyed by millions. Almost everyone in the UK spends time with our content each week and it feels great to be part of something that reaches so many people.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.Apply for this role
Awards for BBC
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!