Food Technologist Degree Apprenticeship at Co-op
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Connect with Co-op
Food Technologist Degree Apprenticeship
Start Date: September 2020
Salary: £17,800 rising with progression plus benefits (Grade H10)
We’re looking for someone with a thirst for knowledge and a passion for good food to join us as a food technologist apprentice. Here at Co-op, we're proud to be the UK’s largest community retailer, and we’re committed to providing high quality, ethical products at great prices to our millions of customers and members. We’re paving the way when it comes to product innovation, and we’ve got exciting plans for the future. If you’re a foodie with the drive and curiosity we’re after, then you could become part of it.
As our food technologist apprentice, you’ll join our delicious food team in a full time, permanent role as an assistant food technologist. You’ll be supported through a 4-year learning programme with Sheffield Hallam University, working towards your level 6 food industry technical professional degree apprenticeship.
Over the 4 years, you’ll cover a variety of modules, from food innovation management to food nutrition and chemistry. This’ll all be underpinned by work-based learning projects and on the job training. It's an incredible opportunity for you to get a real taste for our retail business, as well as gaining a degree qualification, and spring-boarding your career as a food technologist.
What you’ll do
- get stuck into your role from day one with the support of your colleagues and mentors, contributing to the team and helping us to make sure that Co-op food products are safe, legal and taste great
- allocate one day a week to learning/study towards your qualification
- attend grouped study sessions of 3 or 4 days each time at Sheffield University, completing assessments at the end of each of the 4 years
- gain an in-depth understanding of Co-op's codes of practice in relation to food quality, safety, and legal/ethical policies
- learn how to assess our supply base and select suppliers who meet our needs
- work collaboratively with a range of colleagues and suppliers to support the launch of new products from inception through to launch
- take responsibility for your own personal development and growth, expertly balancing your work and studies, and drawing on the knowledge and experience of your peers
This role would suit people who have
- achieved or are predicted 2 A-levels (including a science, or food technology) at grade A* - C (or equivalent)
- achieved GCSE Maths & English or equivalent at grade A* - C (or Grade 4 or above)
- a keen interest in science and an ambition of completing a food science degree
- a passion for delicious food and a basic understanding of the food industry
- good problem-solving skills; you're able to think on your feet and make sensible decisions under pressure
- excellent relationship-building skills with the confidence to engage with colleagues and partners at different levels
- strong written and verbal communication skills, and a high level of attention to detail
- a proactive approach to work, with lots of positivity, self-motivation and commitment to your personal development
- the willingness to travel when required for the role
We can offer you the opportunity to obtain a qualification and build a career in Food without getting in to student debt. You’ll have the opportunity to learn while you work in a supportive environment. As a Co-op colleague you’ll also get:
- competitive salary
- pension with up to 10% employer contributions
- annual incentive scheme
- 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
- discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences, and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
About the Co-Op
It takes all kinds of people to make a business work. So, at Co-op our nationwide apprenticeships are open to everyone with the right levels of skill, enthusiasm and understanding. If you have a genuine passion for customer service, a willingness to learn and a strong sense of community, you could really go places at the Co-op. We believe in working together, so take a look at all we can offer you and come share in our success.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button below.