Test Engineering Apprenticeship
Have you ever thought 'Why?"
"Why does that do that?"
"Why can't we do it this way?"
"Why is this so difficult to use?"
"Wouldn't it be great if we didn't need that any more?"
If you spend some of your time thinking about questions like those, then IBM is the perfect place for your career to flourish.
IBM has always challenged the way the world interacts, how we communicate with each other and how business works, and it continues to ask the world “why?”. In 2018, IBM had 9,100 new inventions recognised in the U.S. alone, the 26th year in a row we have led the way. Our new ideas and inventions cover things like artificial intelligence, cloud computing, cyber security and quantum computing. 5 IBM colleagues have received Nobel Prizes.
As well as challenging ourselves as an organisation to keep inventing and improving, we also make sure we continue to challenge and develop our people with fantastic training and education.
We want to be challenged, too. Many IBMers (IBM employees) are old (certainly older than you!) and have grown up using technology in a certain way and are used to the ways things work. We need people to come and challenge us and our thinking, and show us that there are new and different ways to look at the world around us.
If you play on an XBOX 360, Playstation 3 or Nintendo Wii, you’ve been using an IBM mirocprocessor. IBM powers solutions and insights for many major global events, like The Grammys, The US and Wimbledon tennis majors, and the Aston Martin Red Bull Formula 1 racing team.
What we offer you
Our clients include high street banks, petrol and energy companies, the government, mobile phone companies, and names on the high street and on-line shopping. With the right training, you’ll be helping our clients prove that the IT systems that their customers use will be fast, secure and reliable, just as you expect the apps on phone and websites to be.
As a software test engineer Apprentice we’ll provide you with a mix of classroom based education, mentoring & coaching, and real experience working directly with our teams on client accounts. This combination allows you to put your learning straight into practice and earn industry qualifications.
In return, we’d love you to bring your curiosity, your enthusiasm to try new things and a fresh approach to finding solutions to some of IBM’s and our client’s problems.
Over the two year programme, you will receive training and learning on:-
- Software development – how software goes from an idea to a solution a customer can use
- Software testing – how to prove that what has been developed works as it should do
- Consultancy – how to work with different people in different scenarios – some nice but some tricky - and in different countries
- General business knowledge – how do businesses work and operate, from the money to the marketing to the admin support
- How to work as part of small and large teams, either close to home or around the UK
Through this, you will discover the things you enjoy working on in order to make choices about your IBM career as you progress and continue to explore what IBM has to offer.
What we look for:
- You don't need to be studying business or technology A-levels, but you must have a keen interest in both.
- You must have achieved at least 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at Grade C/4 or above including Maths and English Language. We also except Level 2 Skills Tests as a GCSE equivalent in Maths and English.
- You will need to be mobile – base locations are across the UK (including but not limited to London, Hursley (near Winchester) and Portsmouth), however the work will be project based and typically you’ll find yourself working at a client site which requires extensive travel and staying away from home during the week.
- You must be authorised to work in the UK.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.Apply for this role
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!