Audit Degree Apprenticeship - Public Sector at BDOTop Employer
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Connect with BDO
Audit Degree Apprenticeship - Public Sector
Audit means much more than crunching numbers. Auditors are integral to keeping the UK financial system safe for investors and the public. As auditors we use smart questions to get to know our client’s businesses, and maintain scepticism throughout the audit process to ensure we remain impartial. At the completion of an audit we can provide constructive feedback to our clients helping to improve the business’s operations, whilst also helping shareholders to have a full understanding of a company’s financial performance and business risks. As the majority of the audit process involves us working in different teams, with people at varying stages of their career, we’re fortunate to get to know our BDO colleagues really well and often become life-long friends.
Upon joining Public Sector Audit you will become part of a dynamic and knowledgeable team, including experts in their field. You will be working with a range of Local Authorities, NHS Trusts, Foundation Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) and parts of central government. Our Partners have a long track record of working with public sector clients and leading sector associations (eg LGA, HFMA, NHS Providers) and regularly provide media comment on issues affecting the public sector (eg Local Government Chronicle, Health Service Journal). We have strong relationships with complementary public sector service providers and our engagements regularly take a holistic approach to ensuring our clients’ needs are fulfilled.
An Audit Trainee will form part of the audit team both on-site at clients, and in the office, ensuring that all aspects of the audit are completed on time and within budget. You will be expected to study for, and complete, your accounting qualification over the and will be supported, developed and supervised by senior members of the Audit Group.
Business Area Overview
- You will assist within the wider team by obtaining audit evidence necessary to support opinions given
- Prepare analysis of accounting data from client’s books and records
- Ensure audit files have all relevant documentation on the appropriate section; check appropriate and sufficient documentation obtained to support the opinion and documenting all conclusions
- Active engagement with client staff in the gathering of appropriate audit evidence
- Active adherence to budget and timetable, bringing matters to the attention of the Senior or Manager, particularly when actual time is in excess of budget
- Involvement in the planning, execution and finalisation of the audit assignment supporting the Audit Manager
- Ensure compliance with internal (audit methodology and risk management) and external (regulatory) requirements
- Identify and understand client needs, including sometimes providing initial solutions to client challenges, then communicating these needs and solutions to your Senior or Manager
- Build strong relationships with new and established clients
- Carry out ad hoc assignments, as may be required by your group
- Undertake any training or development co-ordinated by your group
- Coaching and assisting more junior trainees on the team, both at client premises and in the office
- Participate in group, stream and firm wide activities
- Successfully study towards your professional qualification and, where relevant, corresponding apprenticeship
Candidates must have, or be on course for the following grades (or international equivalent):
- 3 A Levels at grades A*- C, excluding General Studies and Extended Projects
- Grade 9-4 in English Language & Maths GCSE
We are looking for candidates who possess strengths that are aligned to: Business Thinking, Collaborating, Innovation and Change, Communicating, Developing Self and others, Decision Making, Reasoned judgement, and Analytical skills.
BDO LLP is an accountancy and business advisory firm, we provide integrated advice and solutions to help businesses navigate a changing world. Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high growth businesses that fuel the economy.
We share our clients’ ambitions and their entrepreneurial mind-set. We have the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise to help them succeed.
BDO LLP operates in 17 locations across the UK, employing 5000 people offering tax, audit and assurance, and a range of advisory services. BDO LLP has revenues of £590m and is the UK member firm of the BDO International network. The BDO global network provides business advisory services in 162 countries, with 80,000 people working out of 1,500 offices worldwide. It has revenues of $9bn.
BDO gives trainees all the training they need to attain their professional qualifications, along with extensive practical experience that includes on-site client work. The firm provides constant support to help you achieve your potential.
'Achieving My Potential’ is BDO’s organisational framework. It is made up of 4 key elements – core competencies, technical competencies, values and attitude. In essence, what you do and how you do it.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.
Awards for BDO
Latests jobs from BDO
BDO School Leaver, Consumer Markets
Hear about Aimee's experience at BDO