Digital (Software Engineering) Degree Apprenticeship
Believe there's more than one way to secure a successful future?
So do we. We think our apprenticeship programmes are the best alternative to university for ambitious students. Especially as you’ll gain a degree and the reputation that comes with working for a prestigious engineering brand like Siemens.
This is a rare opportunity to earn money while showing your potential to a global innovator. Here at Siemens we build a better world using greener energy, cutting-edge software and ingenious inventions.
The Siemens Digital Industries site in Congleton is an award-winning facility, responsible for designing, manufacturing and servicing inverters for the global industrial market. The factory is undertaking an ambitious digital transformation, to help increase competitiveness and productivity to deliver more innovative products and services to our customers. Our inverters support companies to maximise performance in a sustainable and efficient way that will reduce environmental impact.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference and who have a keen interest in IT, Digital Technology and the engineering sector.
This Degree apprenticeship programme lasts for approximately 5 years, during which time you will gain the necessary skills to work alongside our Research and Development and IT Teams to develop software solutions both for our products and also to support the manufacturing facility. During your time with us, you will work towards a BSc (Hons) in Digital & Technology Solutions with a Software Engineer pathway.
Here is how the programme works:
- You should have good communication skills, both written and verbal
- As the apprenticeship involves completing academic qualifications and occupational skills developments, you should have good organisational skills and be able to manage your time appropriately.
- You must be willing to self-learn and research, and take a creative approach to problem solving
- You enjoy collaborating with others to find innovative solutions
- You can work independently, safely and responsibly, and take ownership of chWhen you join the business, you will be allocated to a Digital and Engineering team where you will work under mentorship on our current projects on a rotation basis
- At the same time, you will be signed up to the academic element of your apprenticeship with the Open University or day release. To support you, 20% of your standard weekly working hours will be spent studying for your degree. (20% off the job study time throughout your apprenticeship is still paid for)
- By the end of your apprenticeship, you will have gained the knowledge and skills to become a Digital and Technology solution specialist as well as a degree as a Digital and Technology Solutions Professional
- We will also expect you to finish the elements of the structured learning plan, attendance to all performance evaluations, rotations across the business as well as developing your professional competence throughout.
Here is what you can make a difference in:
- Helping to lead digitilisation topics in industrial product design and development, including real time low level embedded software, micro controllers, operating systems and processors.
- Application and mobile platform development.
- Become part of a team and work closely with our engineers to create ground-breaking solutions
- Join a community of highly skilled experts maintaining professional and technical knowledge to stay at the forefront of innovation.
- Digital electronics & programming and scripting using languages such as c, c++, java, .NET, html etc.
We are looking for forward-thinking, inquisitive candidates that demonstrate the following characteristics:
- You think logically, willing to self-learn and research, and take a creative approach to problem solving
- You enjoy collaborating with others to find innovative solutions
- You can work independently, safely and responsibly; take ownership of challenges and ideas and are looking to develop your ability to drive and lead change
- Identify with our values of Zero Harm, Innovative, Excellent and Responsible. We can teach you the knowledge on your apprenticeship however it also means a lot to us for you to align to our culture and behaviours.
- Willingness to relocate and travel. This apprenticeship is rotational, and we want you to experience the different sites and areas of our business, so each placement will be in different UK locations.
- Some experience/work-experience in a digital related department would be useful but not essential
Minimum educational requirements:
You will have achieved or be on track to achieve two A Levels at Grades A*-C or equivalent (at least one must be Maths, Physics or a Computer/IT related subject). We also welcome applications from those with a BTEC Level 3 certificate with at least a DDM grading.
The benefits of a degree apprenticeship
- Continue your learning beyond college/school and have your degree paid for all whilst earning a salary and an annual bonus!
- Have the chance to join a community of highly skilled engineers who will help you on your learning journey
- Stay at the fore-front of innovation by joining Europe's leading engineering and technology company
- Join our flexible benefits scheme with access to private medical care, discounted cinema tickets and gym membership and so much more!
What else do I need to know?
Throughout the apprenticeship, there will be the requirement of occasional shift work and overtime as well as travel to other UK Siemens locations and potentially outside the UK.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what’s right for the world by employing the people who live in it.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements and workplace adjustments with all our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Our Apprentices get to work at the forefront of the Tech, Digital, Engineering, Energy and Building sectors. On a Siemens programme, you also have the advantage of getting to work on different projects and products. We want you to start with a strong foundation by learning a diverse selection of skills in preparation for a long-term career. Many different career paths can open up once your apprenticeship is completed and it’s time to progress into a permanent role.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.Apply for this role
Awards for Siemens
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!
Latests jobs from Siemens
Ashleigh Sumner, is an engineering apprentice with the Siemens. Based at their...