Degree Apprentice - Digital and Technology Solutions at Siemens
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Connect with Siemens
Degree Apprentice - Digital and Technology Solutions
Believe there's more than one way to secure a successful future?
So do we. We believe our apprenticeship programmes are the best alternative to university for ambitious and hard-working students. Especially as you’ll gain a degree whilst earning a salary as well as the reputation that comes with working for a digital pioneer like Siemens.
Here at Siemens we build a better world using digital skills to create greener energy, ground breaking software and ingenious inventions.
This role is based within Siemens Rail Infrastructure, Electrification business segment, whose client portfolio includes Network Rail, London Underground, and we are actively involved in projects for East Coast Main Line, TRU and REAL Alliances.
We are recruiting school and college leavers to join our degree apprenticeship scheme who want to make a difference and develop their skills in digital technology.
Part of being an apprentice at Siemens means you get to work on real life projects, around the country, whilst also being supported on a guided learning journey. This will be a 4-year apprenticeship where you will be put onto the Digital and Technology Solutions standard at Manchester Metropolitan University or The Open University.
As a Degree Apprentice in Siemens Mobility, Rail Infrastructure , you will be working with the Electrification team in York.This will enable you to develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to complete your apprenticeship standard and meet the predicted future talent requirements of the business. By the end of it you’ll have gained fantastic knowledge to equip you for your professional career within Siemens.
Here is how the programme works:
- You should have good communication skills, both written and verbal
- As the apprenticeship involves completing academic qualifications and occupational skills developments, you should have good organisational skills and be able to manage your time appropriately.
- You must be willing to self-learn and research, and take a creative approach to problem solving
- You enjoy collaborating with others to find innovative solutions
- You can work independently, safely and responsibly, and take ownership of chWhen you join the business, you will be allocated to a Digital and Engineering team where you will work under mentorship on our current projects on a rotation basis
- At the same time, you will be signed up to the academic element of your apprenticeship with the Open University or day release. To support you, 20% of your standard weekly working hours will be spent studying for your degree. (20% off the job study time throughout your apprenticeship is still paid for)
- By the end of your apprenticeship, you will have gained the knowledge and skills to become a Digital and Technology solution specialist as well as a degree as a Digital and Technology Solutions Professional
- We will also expect you to finish the elements of the structured learning plan, attendance to all performance evaluations, rotations across the business as well as developing your professional competence throughout.
Here is what you can make a difference in:
- Develop your knowledge of data services by taking on development of customer-facing applications
- Gain experience in IT project and Digital service management
- Gain first-hand experience working with cloud-based IT and computing infrastructure
- Combine engineering or product design with coding skills to develop new solutions
- Take an idea from design to development to customer release, gaining experience in the complete lifecycle.
- Learn what it means to work backwards from customer requirements to solution architecture, design, development, release planning and implementation
- Work with experienced engineers and developers to put your skills to the test in the development of valuable use-cases
- Requirement analysis, gathering information and identifying stakeholders to support business objectives.
- Supporting the Service Desk, ensuring customers and user get the best experience possible.
- Gain a valuable insight - A brilliant technology strategy won’t help unless it’s implemented properly. You’ll work on live projects with complex scenarios and learn how to work efficiently to realise success
- Be a valued member within a team of Entry Level Talent (Apprentices/Interns/Graduates) to participate in the Business Improvement Project (BIP) Scheme. The scope of the project is to create and present a solution to management. This project will provide you with valuable team working and presentation skills.
- Be an ambassador for STEM through a multitude of volunteering opportunities; such as Greenpower, Big Bang Fair and much more.
- Participate in the Apprentice ‘Swap Scheme’, an exchange programme allowing apprentices to experience different areas of the business (Electrification , Automation and communication)
We are looking for forward-thinking, inquisitive candidates that demonstrate the following characteristics:
- You think logically, willing to self-learn and research, and take a creative approach to problem solving
- You enjoy collaborating with others to find innovative solutions
- You can work independently, safely and responsibly; take ownership of challenges and ideas and are looking to develop your ability to drive and lead change
- Identify with our values of Zero Harm, Innovative, Excellent and Responsible. We can teach you the knowledge on your apprenticeship however it also means a lot to us for you to align to our culture and behaviours.
- Willingness to relocate and travel. This apprenticeship is rotational, and we want you to experience the different sites and areas of our business, so each placement will be in different UK locations.
- Some experience/work-experience in a digital related department would be useful but not essential
Minimum educational requirements:
You will have achieved at least 5 GCSEs grade 5 or above including maths and english language or 3 A Levels (or BTEC equivalent) at grade C or above. You'll also have achieved or be on track to achieve a minimum of 104 UCAS points at A level or equivalent in Maths or other STEM related subjects. Candidates who do not meet these requirements but have workplace experience will be evaluated individually.
The benefits of a Siemens apprenticeship
- Continue your learning beyond college and get your degree debt-free whilst earning a salary of £20,000 per annum at the same time as well as an annual bonus!
- Have the chance to join a community of highly skilled engineers who will help you on your learning journey
- Stay at the fore-front of innovation by joining Europe's leading engineering and technology company
- Join our flexible benefits scheme with access to private medical care, discounted cinema tickets and gym membership and so much more!
What else do I need to know?
We’re looking for forward-thinking teammates with the aptitude and attitude to succeed in the digital world. Think this is you? Apply Now.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what’s right for the world by employing the people who live in it.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements and workplace adjustments with all our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Our Apprentices get to work at the forefront of the Tech, Digital, Engineering, Energy and Building sectors. On a Siemens programme, you also have the advantage of getting to work on different projects and products. We want you to start with a strong foundation by learning a diverse selection of skills in preparation for a long-term career. Many different career paths can open up once your apprenticeship is completed and it’s time to progress into a permanent role.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.