Lab Science Higher (Level 4/5) Apprenticeship
Our laboratory science apprenticeship will equip you with the skills and knowledge to tackle a variety of scientific challenges working in our research and development or manufacturing laboratories – the heartbeat of our company.
Achieve your career goals on our apprentice programme
You’ll receive tailored on-the-job training from our in-house experts, combined with early responsibility to help you develop and progress. You’ll be working towards a nationally recognised qualification – studying for a Foundation degree (FdSc) in Chemical Science on our chemistry-based laboratory apprenticeship or a Foundation degree (FdSc) in Biological Science Technology on our biology-based apprenticeship. After completing the FdSc, most of our laboratory science apprentices go on to study for a full degree.
We also have opportunities for a Lab Scientist, In vivo Biologist.
Working with both your manager and programme manager we want to identify the right opportunities to help you succeed in the short term and throughout your career with us. You will also be assigned a buddy or a mentor who will be there to offer support and guidance throughout your apprenticeship.
What will you do?
We offer Laboratory Science Apprenticeships in either a manufacturing or a research & development (R&D) setting. The Laboratory Science apprenticeship will provide you with the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge in a number of areas. These might include:
- Operating specialist laboratory equipment to test our products and raw materials
- Learning about the process each drug or product follows through to full scale manufacturing.
- Microbiological & environmental sampling and testing
- Operating specialist equipment to develop new products
- Synthetic and analytical chemistry
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Report writing
- Drug delivery (R&D only)
You’ll be excited by the thought of developing your personal skills such as reasoning, communication, problem solving, team working, relationship building and influencing.
What qualifications do you need?
To be eligible for our Laboratory Science apprenticeship programme, you will need:
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent at grades 9-5 (A*-C) including English Language (not Literature), Science and Maths
- To have achieved or be predicted to achieve a minimum of 96 UCAS points from your top 3 A-Levels (or equivalent) not including General Studies
- A Level Chemistry at grade C or above for our chemistry-based apprenticeship, or
- A Level Biology at grade C or above for our biology-based apprenticeship
Where will you be based?
You will be based at a site in either Barnard Castle, Stevenage or Worthing.
When you apply; you will choose the site you want to apply to.
What our apprentices say about the Laboratory Science apprenticeship...
“It feels great to run experiments and they run successfully. Others in the lab are doing the same level of chemistry - I’m never treated differently in the team.”
“I’m so proud to get on to the programme. I still walk in and think wow! My biggest achievement is, while only a 3rd year Apprentice, I am already an Instrument Owner. There are only two owners across GSK, as it's a new technology."
When does the apprenticeship start?
Our apprenticeships start in September.
- A competitive base salary
- An annual bonus
- Benefit programmes benchmarked against industry standards
- A recognition programme to reward exceptional work by you and your team
- Training and Development (including opportunities to attend annual Apprentice development events)
- Access to employee health and well-being programmes
- A fully sponsored nationally recognised qualification
How can you apply?
Applications for 2020 will open on Monday 2 December 2019.
We’re 100% open to all talent – whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers and also, because it’s the right thing to do.
Need help with your application?
Please contact us at UK.firstname.lastname@example.org
GSK are a science-led global healthcare company that researches and develops a broad range of innovative products in three primary areas of pharmaceuticals, vaccines and consumer healthcare within which all our 100,000 employees share the vision of helping people do more, feel better and live longer.
The scope and breadth of our business is reflected in the range of apprenticeship opportunities we offer to talented and ambitious individuals. Our apprenticeships will give you hands-on experience in your chosen discipline and the opportunity to play a key role in contributing to the future success of the company. Whilst you learn on-the-job from industry leaders, earn a competitive salary, you will also study towards a nationally recognised qualification. The GSK programme aims to lead to a professional qualification within 2 to 3 years, allowing you to quickly reach your career goals!
Each of our locations in the UK offers you the chance to join us on an apprenticeship programme. Depending on your location, you can apply for one of our apprenticeship programmes at your chosen site. Explore our different apprenticeships to discover how each one offers you the chance to take on the global health challenges of today and tomorrow.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click the apply button.Apply for this role
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!
Latests jobs from GSK
- Apprenticeship - Higher Level (Level 4/5)
What is it like to be a GSK apprentice? To be an artwork and design apprentice is great, the opportunities that...