Nuclear Engineering Degree Apprenticeship at AWE
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Connect with AWE
Nuclear Engineering Degree Apprenticeship
What if you could work on something that you cannot test, but cannot afford to fail? What if your job wasn’t your ordinary 9-5? What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear research weapons research and development. Contracted to the MOD, we have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. We also use our unique nuclear skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
As a Nuclear Engineering Apprentice, you will develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours to enable systems and equipment to operate safely, efficiently and in an environmentally sustainable way, meeting the requirements set out by AWE and those of the Professional Body Institutions. You will develop a fundamental and core knowledge of engineering / science principles and practices and will be able to demonstrate discipline skills commensurate with your role that typically will include design, plant performance enhancements, operational management, project management and maintenance of safety standards utilising analytical thinking to provide innovative solutions.
Whilst on the Nuclear Engineering Apprenticeship you will complete the following:
- BEng in Nuclear Engineering with specialist units, or BSc in Nuclear Science
- 12 x 4 week block delivery with residential facilities (flexible to employer requirements)
- Inquiry-led constructive learning and technology-based assessment
- Nuclear behavioural culture, safety and security
- Employer focused contextual content
- Practical engineering workshop practice and skills
Whilst on the apprenticeship, you will learn the basics of hand tools, machining, electrical theory, circuits, instruments and control logic, before learning how to specify, troubleshoot and maintain various pieces of industrial equipment, such as nuclear vent and containment systems through lectures and practical workshop projects. You will then undertake focussed professional engineering placements in industrial nuclear buildings across the business to gain an appreciation of the additional challenges and safety requirements of providing engineering services in such an environment throughout the engineering lifecycle (Design, Construction, Commissioning, Operations, Utilities). Following completion of your placements and subject to the business need and your career aspirations, your final role placement will be selected, and you will complete your training as a professional engineer in this area.
This role may appeal to you if you enjoy:
- Understanding how things work and improving them
- Solving problems in different ways
- Working with Control Systems (Coding Raspberry PI/Arduino, hacking consumer electronics, small audio electronic projects etc.)
- Working with Mechanical Assemblies (Car/bike/clock maintenance, restoration and modification etc.)
- Working with Electrical Systems (Home electrical maintenance, changing sockets/light fittings, vehicle electrical systems)
- Interest in learning / improving practical applications
- Applying engineering principles into real life scenarios
Level 6 entry requirements:
- Must be age 18 or above as of August 2020 due to security clearance requirements
- BTEC HNC/D – three merit passes. Must include a pass in Mathematics
- Applicants must hold 5 GCSEs A-C including Maths and English or equivalent (reformed GCSEs grade 4 or above)
- Good communication skills (i.e. technical speaking, active listening, professional writing, professional body language and technical presentation)
- Reliability with a high level of respect for confidentiality on work related and personal matters
- Ability to work autonomously and interact effectively within a wide, multi-disciplinary project team
- Ability to understand the impact of work on others, especially where related to diversity and equality
- Good time management skills (i.e. planning and completing work to schedule)
- A supportive attitude to change and ability to respond positively to change management processes
- Ownership for personal development
- Open attitude towards receiving feedback
- Committed to health & safety (i.e. personal, workplace, radiological and nuclear)
- Effective at following rules, procedures and principles
- Enthusiasm for the nuclear industry
- PC literate
- Excellent team working skills
- Ability to concentrate for long periods
Duration of training:
The closing date for applications to the apprenticeship programme is 17th January 2020. Successful candidates must be available to attend a full day assessment Centre in February or March and start on the Programme in August 2020.
What we offer
We offer our degree apprentices a starting salary of £13,000 as well as a market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight. Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field whilst helping us to continue to deliver national nuclear security, threat reduction and counter-terrorism solutions.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to work in designated areas – if applicable
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defense of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country’s nuclear deterrent. We are a center of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click the apply button.