Solicitor – Degree Apprenticeship
Help us conduct business the right way
We live in a fluid world and we’re a FTSE 100 company moving with the current, our vision is to become the UK’s leading water company. Achieving it will take, what we call, Fluid Thinking. As an Apprentice Solicitor you’ll get a unique insight into the way one of the UK’s biggest businesses functions, as well as how we adapt to rapid, large-scale changes.
What you'll be doing
We are offering a unique opportunity to qualify as a solicitor following a six-year degree apprenticeship programme of work-based learning and part-time study.
Throughout your training you will be based at our main office in Coventry.
This role has responsibility for helping the Severn Trent Legal team in providing legal advice to our colleagues in the business through:
- Acting ethically, with professionalism and judgement
- Progressing legal matters and transactions;
- Applying legal knowledge and commercial judgement to produce solutions which meet the business’ needs and achieving our commercial goals
- Deploying the full range of legal skills - research, interviewing and advising, advocacy, negotiation, drafting, communicating orally and in writing;
- Establishing and maintaining effective and professional relationships with colleagues and other people
- Managing yourself and your own work effectively.
How we’ll support you:
- Induction event - A two-week induction designed to introduce you to our business, show you how we work and help you get the best.
- An Apprentice buddy - Someone to share your experiences with and support you in achieving your ambitions.
- Regular performance reviews with your manager - Bi-annual reviews to help you outline clearly-defined goals and measure how you’re developing against them.
- National Qualifications - We’ll also help you to pursue nationally recognised qualifications, such as NVQs.
Training and Development
The apprenticeship training is delivered by our partner Law School, where we will support you with paid time off to attend classes together with study leave for assessments.
In the workplace, you will carry out supervised work-based learning in order to meet the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) competence statement and will produce a work-based assessment portfolio. In addition to examinations throughout the apprenticeship, there will also be an SRA centralised assessment that you will need to pass to qualify as a solicitor.
Qualification is based on assessment from theSolicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) and will result in the award of aqualifying law degree (LLB).
On successful completion of your apprenticeship you will move into an appropriate non-apprentice Solicitor role in Severn Trent.
What we're looking for
Our solicitor apprenticeship is available to people with:
- 5 GCSEs, including Mathematics & English - grade C or above (or equivalent);
- 3 A Levels (or equivalent) - minimum grade C
- Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in a relevant occupation - Business
- Administration, Legal Services, Providing Financial Services;
- Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship in a relevant occupation - Legal Services, Professional Services, and Providing Financial Services (may be entitled to exemptions from training);
- Paralegal Apprenticeship (may be entitled to exemptions from training);
- Legal Executive Apprenticeship (may be entitled to exemptions from training);
- Law Degree/ Graduate Diploma in Law / Legal Practice Course (entitled to exemptions from training).
About Severn Trent
With eight million customers, we do something incredible every day; supply almost two billion litres of water. We connect communities with the world's most precious resource.
Our vision is to become the UK’s leading water company by 2020. To achieve this, we’ll need talented people ready to become the future experts of our industry.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.Apply for this role
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!