Commercial Apprenticeship at DSTL
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Connect with DSTL
The Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) ensures that our innovative science and technology contribute to the defence and security of the UK. We provide the UK Government with specialist science and technology research, advice and analysis – much of which is operationally critical with the potential to save many lives.
Can you communicate effectively, work as part of a team, think on your feet, have the drive to deliver and get things done and able to take personal responsibility for your work and continuous development?
There are apprenticeship vacancies in our Commercial function, based at either of our Portsdown West, Fareham or Porton Down, Salisbury sites.
You will work alongside our Procurement professionals and have a unique opportunity to work at the forefront of Defence research procuring a variety of requirements from materials for our laboratories to delivering research requirements through a range of procurement routes including framework contracts.
- need to be able to think on your feet
- provide commercial recommendations to your coach and/or line manager
- be comfortable working as a team
- thrive on completing requirements successfully
- be open to new ideas and ways of working
- attend Commercial Professionalism Programme (CPP) Courses
- be encouraged to study for Commercial Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS) accreditation or membership.
- where applicable assist in the management of our largest contracts to gain experience of Contract Management and assisting in delivering a complex strategic procurement
- report progress
- learn how to identify and report commercial risks and issues
- with training ensure that best practice is applied to ensure Dstl’s legal obligations
Following training, support and guidance from your coach you will:
- be articulate and a good negotiator adept at influencing and solving problems
Minimum age is 18 and you will need to hold five A*-C Grade GCSEs or equivalent, including English & Maths.
The security of our work means that only UK nationals who have also resided in the UK for the last five years (10 years for certain roles) can be considered. All Dstl positions require full UK Security Clearance. Unfortunately dual nationals are not eligible.
The apprenticeship will be on a 2 year fixed term basis. Starting salary is circa £15,000
Benefits of working at Dstl:
- Flexible working
- Chartership and accreditation support
- Generous annual leave
- A competitive salary
- Excellent learning and development
- Onsite gyms and restaurants
- Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button below. To find the role, select 'Show more' and enter the following reference number: 1572386