MBDA is a world leader in missiles and missile systems, consisting of a multinational integrated group with 10,000+ employees across France, UK, Italy, Germany, Spain and the USA. Through mastering cutting-edge precision technologies, developing and producing new products, MBDA is the only European Group capable of designing and producing missiles and missile systems to meet current and future operational requirements for the three armed forces (Army, Navy, Air Force). With the constant changing specifications arising from increasingly complex engagement scenarios, our innovative solutions guarantee customers an unrivalled product portfolio.
Software Engineering (Sponsored Degree) Apprentice - Stevenage
To join the Software Engineering team (SET) at MBDA, while studying part time for a fully funded degree in Engineering. You will be immersed in a collaborative environment focused on providing advanced software solutions for the diverse portfolio of sophisticated missile systems that MBDA offers.
You will be exposed to a wealth of products across multiple projects. You will gain experience with a number of programming languages and an array of tools. You will be working with different development methodologies, a number of test strategies, varying lifecycles, and more; ensuring your time with Software Engineering is an engaging, enriching, and rewarding experience.
What you will be doing
Through a combination of on-the-job technical training and time studying at university, you will develop the skills to effectively design, create, and test software.
Working closely with other teams and departments, you will work through a variety of stages in the software development process, covering anything from embedded systems to front end software. This software will be developed on a range of platforms, including Linux and Windows, utilising C/C++, Ada, and Java. You will also be ensuring the functional and technical robustness of deliverables, and be responsible for the creation and maintenance of documentation
Other, non-technical responsibilities include:
- Collaborating with other departments
- Getting to know the company and your role, and how best to develop your career
- Keeping managers and your team up to date with your progress and personal development
- Participating in the graduate / apprentice community
- STEM ambassador opportunities
What are the benefits for you?
- Fully funded degree in Software Engineering
- On the job training and technical support
- Fantastic opportunities to bring your technical knowledge to schools as a STEM ambassador
- Support the community among other graduates and apprentices
- Personal development events and experiences
- Flexi Time scheme
- 25 days holiday plus all statutory and public holidays
What's great about joining this team?
- A breadth of experience and support available in the department which include a buddy system to welcome you into MBDA, access to the mentoring scheme and regular informal meetings with other Early Careers Programme (ECP) members in Software Engineering and Technologies.
- You will be working in an assistive and collaborative open plan working environment and systems laboratories, aimed at aiding your learning and development.
- We run an annual SET challenge which offers the chance to collaborate with others in the team to tackle a demanding and engaging software problem!
What we are looking for from you?
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (DDM or above) in Engineering or 120 UCAS points or three B's at A level (including Maths and a STEM subject). Candidates must also have GCSE Maths and English at Grade C / Level 4 or above
- A dedicated attitude and be comfortable taking the initiative.
- A willingness to learn and apply newly gained knowledge quickly.
- To be capable of working as part of a team and individually.
- Ability to balance workload between university and work commitments
What you would get:
- MBDA offers a competitive salary (starting salary of £14,000 with annual pay reviews of up to £4,000 dependent upon performance both within the business and at university/college) bonus scheme, flexible working hours, generous holiday, a wealth of sporting and social activities, fantastic site facilities, excellent learning and development opportunities, a comprehensive pension scheme, a bonus scheme, and more
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button below.Apply for this role
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!