Electrical Engineering Apprentice - Stevenage at MBDA
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
MBDA is a world leader in missiles and missile systems, consisting of a multinational integrated group with 10,000+ employees across France, UK, Italy, Germany, Spain and the USA. Through mastering cutting-edge precision technologies, developing and producing new products, MBDA is the only European Group capable of designing and producing missiles and missile systems to meet current and future operational requirements for the three armed forces (Army, Navy, Air Force). With the constant changing specifications arising from increasingly complex engagement scenarios, our innovative solutions guarantee customers an unrivalled product portfolio.
Electrical Engineering Apprentice - Stevenage
MBDA offers a four-year programme for its engineering apprentices. It is a fantastic opportunity for you to join an accredited mechanical engineering scheme that has developed some of the leading engineering apprentices in the UK.
We have an opportunity to streamline your apprenticeship to finish within the Mechanical Engineering (ME) Function. ME is part of the Operations Directorate and is involved in all aspects of a products life-cycle; from early development and research, through to in service support. This opportunity will give you the skills required to design, make, and test the next generation of missile system hardware.
What you will be doing
Mechanical Engineering Apprentices will study towards a HNC and HND in Mechanical Engineering at Oaklands College in Welwyn Garden City, and work within our business on rotational placements whilst earning a competitive salary and with access to all of the company benefits. This unique way of studying allows you to earn academic and nationally recognised qualifications as well as gain hands on learning experience within a professional and friendly workplace. This programme also allows you to study towards an Engineering NVQ Level 3.
The rotational placements and experiences you will gain on this scheme have been tailored to give you the skills required to become an engineer within the Mechanical Engineering Function. Placements may include:
- Mechanical Design
- Mechanical Analysis
- Materials and Processes
- Design Definition Office
- Product Definition
- Environmental Engineering & Facilities
- Industry Policy Supply Chain and Procurement
As well as challenging placements, apprentices will have the opportunity to undertake developmental training, including;
- A two week-long residential courses in Wales to develop skills, such as: team working, business communication, presentation and project management skills
- Training on our 3D Computer Aided Design and Product Lifecycle Management software
- A two day career development workshop towards the end of the scheme.
- Opportunities to support STEM activities, such as school career fairs, and onsite challenges for school pupils such as the robot rumble.
On commencing employment you will attend an induction event that allows you the opportunity to interact with fellow new-starters, and integrate into the business. You'll be provided with formal advice and guidance throughout the scheme by Human Resources, engineering managers across the business and a trained mentor.
What are the benefits for you?
- Fully funded HNC and HND in Mechanical Engineering
- On the job training and technical support
- Fantastic opportunities to bring your technical knowledge to schools as a STEM ambassador
- Personal development events and experiences
- Flexi Time scheme
- 25 days holiday plus all statutory and public holidays
What's great about joining this team?
- A breadth of experience and support available which include a buddy system to welcome you into MBDA, access to the mentoring scheme and regular informal meetings with other Early Careers Programme (ECP) members.
- You will be working in an assistive and collaborative open plan working environment and laboratories, aimed at aiding your learning and development.
- Comprehensive training plans are available within the placements, equipping you with a wide knowledge base and range of experiences
- Hands on work experience can be gained from all placements, and interaction with hardware is actively encouraged to help further understanding of the product
- We cutting edge technology and creativity and to design, make, and test the next generation of missile system hardware
- Opportunities to see a wide range of MBDA products at various stages of the Product Life Cycle
What we are looking for from you?
- 96 UCAS points via a BTEC in an Engineering subject or A-Levels (at grade C or above) that must include Maths and another STEM subject such as Physics, Chemistry or Design & Technology: Product Design.
- An ability to solve problems in a creative way
- An awareness of and interest in different and new technologies
- An interest in how things work
- A dedicated attitude and be comfortable taking the initiative.
- A willingness to learn and apply newly gained knowledge quickly.
- To be capable of working as part of a team and individually.
- Ability to balance workload between college and work commitments
What you would get:
- MBDA offers a competitive salary (starting salary of £14,000 with annual pay reviews of up to £4,000 dependent upon performance both within the business and at university/college) bonus scheme, flexible working hours, generous holiday, a wealth of sporting and social activities, fantastic site facilities, excellent learning and development opportunities, a comprehensive pension scheme, a bonus scheme, and more
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button below.