About Wates Group
As a family-owned business we know that our people are at the core of our ongoing success. We are very proud to be been named Contractor of the Year, Employer of the Year and received the Judges Supreme Award at the Construction News Awards, recognising our position as a leader in our industry.
Wates Group has a proud 119 year history as an independent family owned company. In 1897 Edward Wates and his three brothers set up the first Wates Company. During the 1920s and 1930s Edward's sons, Norman, Sir Ronald and Allan, expanded the company by pioneering speculative house building and then extended their activities into general contracting. During the Second World War, the company built aerodromes, army camps, factories and most notably, developed a speciality in constructing pre-cast and in situ reinforced concrete barges and floating docks. The company supplied major parts of the Mulberry Harbours that were towed across the Channel after D-Day.
After the War, the company used this knowledge of pre-cast concrete to develop high-rise and low-rise industrialised housing systems and built over 60,000 houses and flats using these techniques. Property development was also added to the core housing, contracting and plant businesses. Today, Wates has over 3,500 employees.
Wates works on a variety of projects across the public and private sectors from building new homes and providing planned and responsive maintenance to housing associations and local authorities; through to office interiors; construction projects in the commercial, retail, heritage and education sectors; and partnering on joint-venture developments. Having been in business since 1897 we know what we are good at. Our clear strategy ensures we create a stable presence in a changing market. Our mission is to build a sustainable £2bn business across the construction, property services and property developments and investment sectors.
You might think that a career in construction is all about bricklaying, but at Wates, the opportunities are endless! Here are some of the benefits that make our higher and degree apprenticeships stand out.
- We will support you all the way towards getting your Bachelor’s degree and full chartership.
- You’ll experience numerous placements, ensuring you get a range of practical experience across our large business and its variety of disciplines.
- You’ll receive structured development and a combination of both technical and behavioural training. This will set you up with everything you need to excel in your career, both personally and professionally.
- Throughout your development, you will be well looked after, supported and mentored by seasoned professionals.
- With our business spanning across construction, development and property services, the long-term career opportunities are endless, as is the earning potential!
Wates Group currently have no jobs available
Not to worry - we still have lots of opportunities available on RateMyApprenticeship.
Do you represent Wates Group?
Get in touch to find out how we can help you recruit the best school and college leavers for your opportunities.